about we of the tender souls... (1 Viewer)

I think many of us have a soft spot for poems that deal with Buk's days in the Post Office. Here's one from Aileron Volume V, No. 2, 1984 (note: this volume is not in the Works Database here):

about we of the tender souls...

I met this fellow, Ralph, after I had been at the
post office for a year
and once at the beginning of a shift
he said to me,
"you know, I walk in here feeling all right
each night,
then something happens and then
the whole night is
ruined."
just then a big guy walked by, gave Ralph the
elbow, said
"you're in the way, fucker!"
Ralph looked at me: "there, it just
happened."

I thought that was very funny and
after that
I asked Ralph each night, "has it
happened yet?"

the answers would vary:
"not yet, but it
will..."
"yeah, it happened..."
"it happened even before I got into the
building..."

we finally devised a signal so I wouldn't
have to ask the same question:
thumbs down when it happened to either
of us.
on an average Ralph could get by ten or
fifteen minutes each
night.
I generally lasted thirty
five minutes longer...

he quit after 4 months.
I lasted eleven and one half
years.

never made a single night
thumbs up
all those
years.

Well, to be honest, I'm relying on your database here to make that statement. If you'd be into updating the database (an endless task, to be sure), in addition to "about we of the tender souls...," Aileron Vol. V, No. 2 (1984) also collects:

the chemistry of things (also in "You Get So Alone at Times...")
a disgust, and only that (otherwise uncollected)
vulgarity (otherwise uncollected)
Alone in a Time of Armies (also in "Alone in a Time of Armies" but nowhere else(??))
snap, and no snap (otherwise uncollected)
for my ivy friends: (also in "You Get So Alone at Times...")

Well, to be honest, I'm relying on your database here to make that statement. If you'd be into updating the database (an endless task, to be sure)...
There is an updated version. I am putting the finishing touches on it, but I do have a list of about 100 more magazine appearances to add to it (I'll check to see if your issue of Aileron is in there), and it will also have some things the current db doesn't. Such as broadsides, recycled collections (like the second Run With the Hunted), etc.

This update has been in the works for about a million years, so what can I say. But yes, even when it is "finished," I will have to continue to add things as they become known.

There are some good uncollected poems...

And I'm very glad to have some of them. They're like little jewels that you know almost noone else who really digs Buk has ever seen. The one I posted struck me as one of the better ones (plus it involved less typing!). I've got more to post, but they'll take some time to type out. Again, it's about time I shared something worthwhile here other than my usual drunken inane drivel...

There is an updated version. I am putting the finishing touches on it, but I do have a list of about 100 more magazine appearances to add to it (I'll check to see if your issue of Aileron is in there), and it will also have some things the current db doesn't. Such as broadsides, recycled collections (like the second Run With the Hunted), etc.

This update has been in the works for about a million years, so what can I say. But yes, even when it is "finished," I will have to continue to add things as they become known.

Yeah, I saw your note about a new version in the database from sometime in 2006. It must be a huge undertaking, and, don't you know, we will appreciate it very much.:)

Thanks Purple I needed the laugh this thread brought. I can relate to that poem. Ralph was a bit of a pessimist. The poem is very good in that it fits right in with the mood of the book Post Office. Did Bukowski include that Ralph story in the book? I can't remember it.

And Father Luke, I just couldn't let that hilarious line about the corgi pass ... first laugh I had all day. :D Thank you!

I pass the genius of that remark along to
Gerard K H Love

It is a quote of his I left unattributed . . .

And this is his inspiration:

2494480277_79ac567656_m.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back