Absinthe (1 Viewer)

Just came across this article in the NYT, and it got me thinking about the stuff and it's purported buzz. For years, I'd heard tales of just how powerful it was, and this and that. Then, a couple of years ago, an aquaintance returned from the Czech Republic with what he claimed to be the real deal.

It was horrid, like trying to drink Everclear, and about the same proof. I couldn't be bothered after the first small taste. Anyone have a different/similar experience?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/arts/12conn.html?pagewanted=1

I've always wanted to try this stuff. Now that its legal in the U.S., I believe I will partake. Thanks for the tip. Cheers.

I drank a bluish-green bottle of it. It wasn't great tasting, I didn't feel like I was in the movie Naked by Williams S Burroughs. I just got drunk. Maybe I got a less potent bottle. Either way, whiskey is good enough for me.

keep in mind, that what they sell today as 'Absinthe' is not the real stuff, that cats like Van Gogh, Picasso and Toulouse-Lautrec drank.
These had a big amount of 'Thujon', which is toxic for the nerves. (That's why it was forbidden and replaced by 'Pasitis' in France.) By the way, the Thujon came from wormwood then, which was one of the main ingredients.
The 'new' Absinthe doesn't have that amount of Thujon (though maybe a little as far as I heared).

Then watch how to drink it! Don't just hit the bottle.
It's a ceremony:
You put a spoon with little holes in it on top of a glass, on the spoon lies a piece of sugar, then let the Absinthe slowly flow over the sugar, which melts and mixes with the stuff and makes it softer. Then you can even add water (2-4 times the amount of Absinthe) to it without hurting the proper style of drinking it. It's part of the ceremony.

on the other hand:
pour me a scotch and water 50:50 and I'm in the game as well. hehe

keep in mind, that what they sell today as 'Absinthe' is not the real stuff, that cats like Van Gogh, Picasso and Toulouse-Lautrec drank.
These had a big amount of 'Thujon', which is toxic for the nerves. (That's why it was forbidden and replaced by 'Pasitis' in France.) By the way, the Thujon came from wormwood then, which was one of the main ingredients.
The 'new' Absinthe doesn't have that amount of Thujon (though maybe a little as far as I heared).

THE WORMWOOD REVIEW would be a great name for a literary magazine.

the funny thing is... despite the "prohibitions" true wormwood is ridiculous easy to get (even better, get it organic!) ..eh..actually, i grow it... :p Organic Wormwood and Absinthe is just as easy to make... I had an old customer who made it every year....I could make up a 'Buk Batch" :D ... mmm... maybe i will, if your interested PM me. :cool: ok...it needs a better name... ideas??

I did it twice as a rebellious youngster (I guess I'm still both). The second time I did it, I had three "shots" of it, and it was like being high but without the laziness and that pressure behind my eyes. It was the most fantastic buzz I've ever had.

the funny thing is... despite the "prohibitions" true wormwood is ridiculous easy to get (even better, get it organic!) ..eh..actually, i grow it... :p Organic Wormwood and Absinthe is just as easy to make... I had an old customer who made it every year....I could make up a 'Buk Batch" :D ... mmm... maybe i will, if your interested PM me. :cool: ok...it needs a better name... ideas??

Is'nt Vermout a derivative of wormwood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back