abstract paintings (1 Viewer)

reasonknot

Founding member
i was given a chance to put 5 paintings
in a starbucks store.i did it
i wonder what happens.
they are paintings i love.can hardly let go.
but we have to let go .

Wow, that's pretty good exposure.
Congratulations.
Will they sell them if someone is interested or are they just on display?

have you ever heard of reverend billy and church of stop shopping? just wondering. they have an interesting stance when it comes to $tarbucks.

(of course they have a website too.)

i was given a chance to put 5 paintings in a starbucks store..

Well done on getting your paintings exhibited. I have to say though choosing Starbucks seems a strange choice, are you planning on becoming a corporate artist?

Unless your paintings have some kind of relationship with this particular Starbucks (i.e,site specific or maybe more broadly a connection with Starbucks itself) then do you not feel perhaps you are just reducing your work to just decorative art?

I know this may seem harsh but although exposure is important I feel for an artist integrity should be more so. If you do just paint for a bit of extra cash or just for fun then I apologise for this tyrade, however if you have a serious engagement with art then I would question your decision.

That's my two cents, now shoot me! :eek:

Hmmmmm, the artist's integrity, huh...it seems to me the integrity is in the art, not particularly where it's displayed. If it's a choice between Starbucks and the bedroom closet or living room wall, I'm gonna have to go with Starbucks.

Whether it's considered art or 'just decorative art' seems to me irrelevant and out of the artist's control really...get the word out, get on paper, get some exposure and then fuck it, see what happens...

Besides it's abstract painting...hyped-up, crazy-eyed, caffeine-snorting Starbucks customers may the only ones able to comprehend the essence ;)

Good luck Reasonknot and congratulations.

Hmmmmm, the artist's integrity, huh...it seems to me the integrity is in the art, not particularly where it's displayed. If it's a choice between Starbucks and the bedroom closet or living room wall, I'm gonna have to go with Starbucks.
Unless you have aspirations to show in real galleries, in which case things like Starbucks should definitely be left off of the resume.

But there are lots of artists who sell a lot of art outside of the gallery system, and they probably aren't concerned about resumes or museums, just making a living. Nothing wrong with that if you can swing it.

sometimes a cafe is just a cafe... maybe an incredibly important art critic/gallery owner/curator will hurriedly stop in this particular starbucks for a quick cup of coffee (momentarily forgetting that he is indeed feeding the corporate machine) and spot your work. far stranger things have happened. you should take exposure where you can get it. if the option to show in a reputable gallery comes along later, then cool, they don't need to know about starbucks.
i'm sure plenty of people who appreciate art frequent starbucks.

i was given a chance to put 5 paintings
in a starbucks store.i did it
i wonder what happens.
they are paintings i love.can hardly let go.
but we have to let go .

congratulations on getting 'out there'
with your art
just because they're on exhibit
doesn't mean you have to 'let them go'
if you need the money
by all means, sell them
don't under estimate their value
make sure and document (photograph)
ALL of your work

why did you choose starbucks?
of all places
....god, i hate starbucks

art

my brother is a manager at starbucks.
he offered,so i put some in there.
its not my first choice but no other offers so far.
i have pictures of my action paintings, but only know how to
e mail them.how in the world can i put attachments here?

selling art is not that rewarding for me.i like my art alot better
when i can live with it at my house.
its not really for sale at starbucks...yet.just working on sparking interest.
i would sell to david geffens foundation though if you ever see him, ask if they would like to make a tax deductable donation.we can split the money with...bukowski.net ...yeah now we are talking.
l

If the pic is on your PC, you can attach it to your post, by clicking the
Go Advanced button at the bottom then you'll see an Attachment icon on the message toolbar. Like this:
attach.gif

If the pic is already uploaded onto a web server elsewhere, you can use the Insert Image option:
insertimage.gif

Hope thats useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back