Any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know nothing about Bukowski, I'm looking for a gift for my boyfriend and need some help. Found this on ebay. Real?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261218949828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

$(KGrHqIOKp0FGQwBTl8HBRm7(vZJLw~~60_57.JPG

It's real. I think all copies of that book were signed.

It's an odd book, only 30-some poems, and not one of his "major" titles, but $200 for a signed copy is probably reasonable these days.

Buk must've been mighty busy signing that edition of 750. I have #50/750, with essentially the same drawing. I believe the one that was up for sale was #550/750, something like that? I'm wondering whether the drawing was standard fare with the the signature? I pulled out my copy of the Simon Finch sale catalog (offering the collection of my late friend Michael Montfort). One of Michael's copies had a "drawing of a man with a bottle." So it seems as though there may have been quite a few that included a drawing.

Untitled-1.jpg

Plus, this book was never reprinted in paperback or otherwise, so he's probably never seen or read it.

Mine, unfortunately, does not have the drawing, but I got a great deal on Amazon. The seller put NOT SIGNED in all caps, but when it arrived...

shadow1.jpg

That drawing is seen in a number of signed editions, starting in more or less the mid-80s. I remember Scott Harrison estimating that about 10% of the signed editions featured a drawing like this (sometimes also including or being replaced with dogs, birds, and a sun, etc.). I get the sense that the number might be a bit higher than 10%, but I wouldn't say that they are overly common. But when they do happen, they generally tend to look very similar.

You know, now that I look at this, there is a big difference in the spacing of the numbers. Who is responsible for the numbering and do they go on before or after the signature?

And, will Bill answer first?

And, will Bill answer first?
Is that a request or a question?

Barbara Martin did the numbering (and cover designs), and they would be numbered after they were signed. To allow for the author messing up a page here and there.

So I guess the 750th signature he put down could have been numbered 1 or 15 ... or anything else? Totally up to Barbara. Probably moving the best signatures to the front in some cases for good buyers.

I just like Bill's nerdy publishing knowledge on such matters...

well, rumour has it he got into jack kerouac's pants so you know he's a wild one...

I think Pogue Mahone has a crush on Bill.

Hey! I got a crush on Bill!

>And on mjp, hooch, hanso, purple, rubyred, Gerald, #6, Jocelyn, Ponder, etcetc. Name them, I got a really bad crush on them. Really. I even got one on dogs. Well, certain dogs I may dislike ... which is an expression, our Bukfan (who I equally love as much as any of you) may recognize first. Have I left anyone out due to being drunk and/or not a together person at all? Feel youself being on the list please! Really!

oh, AND I love growing and sky and Mullinax! My best buddies of them all!

Hey! I got a crush on Bill!

>And on mjp, hooch, hanso, purple, rubyred, Gerald, #6, Jocelyn, Ponder, etcetc. Name them, I got a really bad crush on them. Really. I even got one on dogs. Well, certain dogs I may dislike ... which is an expression, our Bukfan (who I equally love as much as any of you) may recognize first. Have I left anyone out due to being drunk and/or not a together person at all? Feel youself being on the list please! Really!

oh, AND I love growing and sky and Mullinax! My best buddies of them all!

Ok roni, I get the sneer, don't quite understand why? but I get it.

Well, you Germans aren't exactly renowned for your sparkling wit and sense of humour, (unlike us Scots!) so I'd leave oot the jokes if I were you roni. x

Well, since you seem to want to know exactly:
It was your unnecessarily foul language in the other thread ("any other fucker" / "shove yours up your ass... and fuck off" / "have everyone Kiss your Ass") that slightly upset me and claimed for a response.

[...] so I'd leave oot the jokes if I were you roni.

As (btw; ps) does your above comment (equally unnecessary).

Look, IF you were me, you'd be hanging around this joint for a mere six years, but since you ain't - in all respect - I won't take any advice how to behave here.

If I offended you roni, with the German joke I'm sorry, I'm sure you do have a good sense of humour, but seemed to have misplaced it? I was joking about the Scots humour as well. Actually, I really don't swear a lot in 'real' life and it's a standing joke with my friends and colleagues when I do. Perhaps that's why I get an illicit kick out of doing it here, not too much ( pretty juvenile really) Yes I did rather sound like Marcellus Wallis (pulp fiction) the other day and I had to laugh at D Gray's post when he put it all together. I am very surprised that I have offended you with it, not expecting such delicate sensibilities in a Charles Bukowski fan, perhaps you should consider Jane Austen's website? and roni ok you've been here a long time, I don't get the in-jokes and I don't really like nastiness, and I don't think I actually do have thick enough skin for this site, I came for some fun and escapism and it's not really worked out.

Personally Sky I am much newer than you and while I enjoy your posts, which I find to be good-natured and articulate, I come on this site for brief respites from my daily grind. No offense, but reading about your hurt feelings reminds me of listening to my wife when she's p.m.ing. Not why I'm here.
Sorry.

PS roni, "have everyone Kiss your Ass": Pogue Mahone's name phonetically is gaelic for" kiss my ass" slightly different spelling. I wasn't being deliberately rude to him.

Not why I'm here.
Me neither. kept it as short as I could. Didn't want to risk any more swearing or else could have kept it very short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back