Aspies (1 Viewer)

[...] In it, he states that autism may be increasing because we are subjected to oodles of knowledge and in an effort to condense it, we warp our social communication . [...]

That doesn't make sense to me. Autism is diagnosed in babies, long before they are aware of all the information an older child or adult would be exposed to. I haven't heard the speech, but it sounds like he didn't think this theory through very well.

There was a TED speech that i watched recently by juan rodriguez. In it, he states that autism may be increasing because we are subjected to oodles of knowledge and in an effort to condense it, we warp our social communication . Some aspies out there that are smart as fuck.

sounds more like an LSD speech...

There was also a series in the la times that suggested the recent spike in autism correlates to parents who talk about the "perks" such as extra help in school, more individual attention, etc. Jealous parents go get their kids checked at every clinic, until some doctor gives a bad diagnosis. They did surveys and there are pockets within the county where autism appears to breed.

There is no perk for paying through the nose for medications that your kid needs. If you are on medicaid, then most if not all meds are free. If you have insurance through your job (and pay your premiums) the insurance companies pay very little of what actually works. Once it becomes generic, then it is affordable, but my son needs a medicine that is $160 a month out of my pocket. Certainly not a perk.

I can imagine that some people are making money selling Ritalin to college kids, but I always give my kids the medicine that they get. I used to get prescribed Ritalin for myself until I had a heart attack. Cardiologists don't like their patients taking strong stimulants. Now I get much less work done......

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back