At Terror Street and Agony Way - original reel to reel tape recording (1 Viewer)

hank solo

Just practicin' steps and keepin' outta the fights
Reaper Crew
Founding member
I think the full title is "Charles Bukowski Reading Poems From 'At Terror Street And Agony Way' " Black Sparrow Press, 1968

Has anyone ever listened to this tape?

I have read the story of Bukowski and John Thomas recording each other reading from manuscripts, and then when Bukowski's poems vanished Thomas typed them up from the tape to produce the At Terror Street book, but does anyone know if this very limited tape is a copy of that recording?

I know that the At Terror Street double CD is something completely different.

Info from last years Groff auction at PBA :

A 7.5 i.p.s. 5 inch reel-to-reel audio tape of Bukowski reading selected poems from the book. Placed inside a specially hand-made two-part circular plastic box with photo of Bukowski on front cover and his name in red, white, blue and black colored affixed plastic letter pieces, printed circular limitation card affixed to rear plastic box half and original crumpled orange tissue and small plastic part laid in loose, as issued. No. 22 of 50 copies only, signed by Bukowski. First Edition.

Krumhansl lists the poems included:
  • K.O.
  • 7th. Race When the Angels Swung Low and Burned
  • On Going Out to Get the Mail
  • I Wanted to Overthrow the Government but All I Brought Down Was Somebody's Wife
  • The Girls
  • The Clothing
  • 35 Seconds
  • The Mexican Girls
  • True Story
  • X-Pug
  • The Intellectual
  • Red and Gold Paint
  • Brewed and Filled by
  • Shot of Red Eye
  • I Don't Need a Bedsheet with Slits for Eyes to Kill You In
  • He Even Looked like a Nice Guy
  • The Weather Is Hot on the Back of My Watch
  • Now

I don't think Krumhansl has the poem order right. Not that it matters.

The order above was my doing.
That's the order he lists for the book of the same title, where the full titles are given.
I just removed the ones that aren't on the tape.

Edit: Here's the order as per the label

• Shot of Red Eye
  • K.O.
  • 7th. Race When the Angels Swung Low and Burned
  • On Going Out to Get the Mail
  • I Wanted to Overthrow the Government but All I Brought Down Was Somebody's Wife
  • The Girls
  • The Clothing
  • 35 Seconds
  • The Mexican Girls
  • True Story
  • The Weather Is Hot on the Back of My Watch
  • X-Pug
  • The Intellectual
  • Red and Gold Paint
  • Brewed and Filled by
  • He Even Looked like a Nice Guy
  • Now
  • I Don't Need a Bedsheet with Slits for Eyes to Kill You In

as per Dorbin:

Dorbin B_Page_5.jpg

Was going to look over the net to buy a decent-priced copy of the double CD "At Terror Street And Agony Way" (only have it as mp3). Therefore I did a little research in the forum regarding this (and other audio recordings that I'm missing) and found out in this thread that the similar-titled reel tape that came along with the book in 1968 has a complete different content. Has anyone of you listened to this tape? Does anyone have it in a different format (CD, mp3...) and is willing to put it somewhere for a download?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back