Billy Collins: aimless? (1 Viewer)

PhillyDave

“The essential doesn't change.” Beckett
This quote is from Billy's facebook page. Funny. "Thanks to all of you, AIMLESS LOVE [his new book] has debuted on the New York Times Bestseller list at #15-- in the Fiction category, because the Times has no category for bestselling poetry."

From what I gather he's a Bukowski fan too, so that's cool.

His poem The Names, about 9/11, was a big deal some years ago. For a poet, he has also made a shitload of dough. The Best Cigarette is a pretty good spoken word thing, but most of his stuff is pretty tepid. He taught a class I took about 25 years ago and he was a pretty good dude.

He's not wild & crazy, sure, but i like his straightforward, uncluttered approach and it's better than a lot of the drivel out there...but that's my humble opinion of course.

hooch: Thanks for the link to the other thread. Very amusing & entertaining. Yes Bukowski is excellent, yes Pinsky is not, & yes Collins seems to be an unpretentious, likeable sort, not a stuffed shirt like so many academics seem to be.

His poem The Names, about 9/11, was a big deal some years ago. For a poet, he has also made a shitload of dough. The Best Cigarette is a pretty good spoken word thing, but most of his stuff is pretty tepid. He taught a class I took about 25 years ago and he was a pretty good dude.
Do you know where 'The Names' was originally published? Thanks.

If you love Billy Collins I have a great investment for you. An absolutely perfect copy of Wormwood review #108, published in 1987 - pre Laureate! - with a center section by Billy Collins. Signed, number forty-seven (according to what Malone wrote, but Collins numbered it 49/70). $100. Hand delivered by an official government courier.

You're welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back