Blowing My Hero PDF? (1 Viewer)

Just curios as to why nobody as made this into a PDF? I doubt Amber cares since she never cared about profiting from the book. Maybe it has and I missed it as I am new here.

Have you ever seen it? Not an easy book to scan for a couple of reasons - the dark paper and the binding. You'd pretty much have to destroy a copy to scan it properly.

Having said that, someone probably has scanned it. If for no other reason than to prove me wrong.

I have the physical book but san letters. It would be nice to see the Bukowski letters, which Amber cut out for legal reasons. She did that to a number of copies so she could sell them to people here without violating copyright.

[mods: I'm assuming this is all public info but if I'm spilling beans, please edit or delete my post. Thanks.]

The holy grail of Bukowski memoirs is, in my opinion, Scarlet by Pam "Cupcakes" Wood....

That is still readily available from the publisher, Amazon, Ebay....

Blowing My Hero is certainly interesting, but it's a trifle compared to Charles Bukowski's Scarlet. Bill is right.
ir

Funny you should mention "Scarlet", because I just started reading it last night. I'm nearly finished, because it's that good. I didn't know much about Pamela Wood beyond what I'd read about her in "Women" and the Sounes biography, but I'm impressed with her writing. You can tell she still has a great amount of respect and admiration for Buk.

Thanks for the info everyone. I did see the other threads where Amber sold the remaining copies a few years back. I will check out Scarlet.. I never heard of that one. Still I wish I could read Amber's memoir!

Maybe this will put an end to the story of this book being "suppressed," since the letter from Martin clearly states that he doesn't have a problem with her selling the first printing as-is (letters and all).

Right! He only says he insists she does'nt print any more copies with Bukowski's letters in them. That means she can sell the 500 copies she already had printed without any problems. That again makes you wonder why she insisted on cutting out Bukowski's letters from the copies she sold to some of us. Oh well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I don’t want to be just a lurker any longer, I want to share the story of my latest very lucky purchase:

For many years I wanted to own this book after reading somewhere about it. In 2007 I registered here because I found out that there was a one-time sale of the copies with the letters removed. But I already missed that opportunity and never got another chance to obtain a copy since then. In the meantime I read the excerpts in the Bukowski Society yearbook, but still wanted to own the whole thing.

Three weeks ago I got a list from a seller with some chapbooks and broadsides he wanted to get rid of. A copy of „Blowing My Hero“ was on that list, so assuming to him that this was the “buk.net version“ with the removed letters, I offered him $25 for the book (beside a lot of other things). He didn’t reply to my assumtion but thankfully accepted the offer.

So when the book arrived, I was very surprised and speechless that I got #69/500 including the BUK letters.

I feel certain he was aware of the value, he seemed to be a collector but sold a lot of stuff slightly underpriced. So I‘m very grateful he made me this kind of present after all this time of searching and waiting.

bmh_cbol.jpg

Funny the allure that little book still has. I suppose its scarcity makes everyone curious about it. But I will just repeat this:

Blowing My Hero
is certainly interesting, but it's a trifle compared to Charles Bukowski's Scarlet.
ir

Take 20 pages out of Scarlet - any 20 pages - any you've basically got Blowing. So if you really want some insight, go with Pam's book.

---

For the record I just pulled out both versions of Blowing My Hero again to double check, and while it isn't un-scannable, strictly speaking, again, you would have to take the book apart to scan it, and even if you did that, the paper is so dark that a proper pdf version would require a bit of Photoshop time and an equal amount of finesse.

If "Amber" wanted to sacrifice one to the scanner gods, it could be done. But I don't think anyone who paid a premium for a copy with the letters is going to tear theirs open to appease the people who want to read it for free.

That was lucky, miyavi. Several times I've bought rare books on eBay or Amazon that were badly described with poor photos or no photos, operating on a hunch that they might be better than I had a right to expect, and they were. I guess my point is that if you're willing to take a risk, it can pay off. I get them at low prices because most buyers are scared off by the lack of clarity. They don't want a pig in a poke. I can't even think of a time when this strategy didn't pay off, but that's just my experience. You might be unlucky and get something that's not worth the small amount you paid.

There's a wide range of incomes here, from the well-heeled to the destitute. But you don't have to have a lot of money to buy rare books, if you're persistent and think outside the box.

Just curios as to why nobody as made this into a PDF? I doubt Amber cares since she never cared about profiting from the book. Maybe it has and I missed it as I am new here.

Wouldn't scanning this and making it available for free be a copyright violation?
The holy grail of Bukowski memoirs is, in my opinion, Scarlet by Pam "Cupcakes" Wood....

That is still readily available from the publisher, Amazon, Ebay....

Scarlet
ir
is indeed a (perhaps surprisingly) good book, well worth purchasing. It makes all of the other "I knew Bukowski" books look amateurish in comparison. If you like Bukowski and haven't read this, buy it now.

Adobe Acrobat has pretty good built in OCR. If you scan to pdf it can do all the tedious OCR work for you. That's how some of the pdfs we see here and there are searchable and cut and paste-able.

It won't remind you to pay your bills on time though. So it can't do everything.

Thanks! I´m looking forward to reading Buk's letters to Amber which are in the back of the book. I hope you´ll scan them and post them here. :)

Bukfan unfortunately I dont have a scannable copy of the letters. I do have the booklet copy of Blowing my hero but as previous posts show it is not scaner friendly.

That's okay, ozzy! No reason you should ruin your copy of "Blowing..." for some scans. I would´nt do it either if it was me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back