Borat (1 Viewer)

I can't go to a movie theater without having my life threatened lately, so I have to wait for the DVD. ;) But this is one I'd almost venture out to see. Maybe in a couple weeks when the crowds die down.

I thought it was funny. Not hilarious, but not dull either.
Some of the jokes/situations had been covered in the TV show. The funniest moments were mostly throw-away comments. I found myself laughing out loud frequently when no one else in the theatre was.

Borat, No Cleanser

Hearing, reading great things...
Curious who has seen BORAT?

I happened to see some Borat bits on YouTube. This man has a quick, facile comedic mind and, hey, everyone can use a low-brow laugh every now and then, rather than Shakespeare or Bukowski struggling up from the bottom of despair. Borat is capable of doing something great with his mind too, but not yet. His humor reminds me of watching a car wreck. If you happen to be near the scene of the accident you're forced into a reaction despite yourself, by sheer force of stupid circumstance, and then you feel bad for watching out of morbid curiosity, or for watching people squirm in genuine embarrassment from being set-up in such a consummate low-life fashion"”perhaps another nail in the coffin of the overall dumbing down of America. Death where is thy sting?

Can anyone imagine such stupidities coming from Europe, Africa or China? Maybe they exist but I've been lucky enough to miss them. I think I'll pass on seeing this one and look for something else to entertain myself... perhaps find a fatal train wreck to read about, or something else so I can avoid the stupid ethic or bathroom humor of a man who has pegged so well the descending mentality of America and become a multi-millionaire in the process. No thanks.

Poptop

PS. I just remembered that Sach Baron Cohen is a British comedian and Europe must be well on its way too... I can hear the brain-cells dying from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone imagine such stupidities coming from Europe, Africa or China? . . .
PS. I just remembered that Sach Baron Cohen is a British comedian and Europe must be well on its way too... I can hear the brain-cells dying from here.

Yeah, check out some of the clips from when Da Ali G show first aired in Britain. Not sure of the best place to find them, though; my friend just happened to have some Borat clips. He makes the Brits looks pretty damn silly, too, although certainly not as stupid as the Americans.

I have Da Ali G show DVDs from the show that was aired on HBO over here. I think the Brits mustn't have taken themselves as seriously as people like Mickey Rooney or that stupid redneck at the gunshow.

As for the movie, it wasn't exactly what I expected. It was funny in ways I hadn't anticipated, and certain things weren't as funny as I figured they'd be. You should at least check out Da Ali G show. The interviews can be hit or miss (when they're "hit" they're hilarious), and it's a lot better than the movie was since it incorporates Ali G.

ali g is a lampoon of a character fairly ubiquitious here - who has adopted something of the afro-american rap culture - and is uncomfortably close to the truth...i mean, barely a parody...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back