Bottle of Smoke Press - Bottle #6 NOW AVAILABLE (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
Finally....

This issue of Bottle contains poetry broadsides by 20 great poets. The entire issue is printed letterpress on a Chandler & Price 8x12 N.S. press from 1914 using hand set type. Marvin Malone is pictured on the cover. The poets included are:

David Barker
justin.barrett
Richard Brautigan
Charles Bukowski
Harry Calhoun
Christopher Cunningham
Soheyl Dahi
Holly Day
Dan Fante
Lawrence Ferlinghetti
Hugh Fox
Clint Frakes
S.A. Griffin
Richard Krech
t.l. Kryss
Hosho McCreesh
Ann Menebroker
Owen Roberts
Ross Runfola
A.D. Winans

This release is limited to an edition of 200 numbered copies and 26 lettered copies in clamshell case and signed by all living contributors.

Regular Edition - 200 Numbered copies $25 (+ $3.85 Shipping)

Clamshell Edition - 26 Signed, lettered copies $150.00 (+ $3.85 Shipping)

There are very few copies of the clamshell edition still available as most copies were reserved in advance.

To order, please pay with Paypal, or mail a check along with postage to:

Bill Roberts
Bottle of Smoke Press
902 Wilson Drive
Dover, DE 19904

I accept paypal under the paypal id [email protected]

Please visit our website at http://www.bospress.net/ to see photos as well as find information on other great releases. Shipping gladly combined. Please e-mail with any questions.

Distributor discounts available. Please inquire.

All best,
Bill

bottle6clam.JPG

Also, of note is that the Bukowski broadside is printed on yellow "columns" paper in the regular edition (100lb cover), while the broadside from the clamshell edition is printed on 220lb custom duplexed paper (the same paper on the front with Cranes Lettra on the reverse).

Finally, if you want a copy of the Clamshell edition, please let me know asap. There are only a few left right now. I don't expect them to last more than 24 hours as I just announced this to my mailing list.

Congrats Bill :). Beautiful work you're doing... I have a question. Is the SA Griffin poem the one I received with I Saw A Tramp Last Night? The one written for the inauguration?

Also,
At this point, Bottle is on hiatus. I have other projects waiting and need a while to recharge myself on other projects. Designing 120 different broadsides in 5 years can lead to them looking tired and stale. I may come back with Bottle #7, but that if that happens, it will be some time off in the future.

Congrats Bill :). Beautiful work you're doing... I have a question. Is the SA Griffin poem the one I received with I Saw A Tramp Last Night? The one written for the inauguration?
Hi,
Thanks. Nope, this one was one that was written by S.A. for this project. It has not appeared anywhere else yet.

The only poems in this collection that have been published before are:

Brautigan (Published in a long out of print magazine from 1959)
Bukowski (Published in long out of print magazine)
Ferlinghetti (Poem taken from "Poetry As Insurgent Art")

Otherwise, these are all poems that have not appeared anywhere else, to the best of my knowledge.

Bill

i'm wondering if bottle #7 will be to poetry anthologies what kramers ergot #7 was to comics anthologies; namely, something so awesome and unexpected that no one saw it coming. i don't care if it's 5 years in the future, i can't wait!

May I ask why was the picture of Marvin Malone chosen for the front cover? Is there any connection between the 20 poets and him?... I know Bukowski's poems were published in The Wormwood Review several times, but I don't know about the others. Or was it a different reason for it? I'm really interested in this as I'm thinking of buying this item, but am a little held back by the cover, if this makes any sense :)

May I ask why was the picture of Marvin Malone chosen for the front cover?

The other folks featured on the covers of previous issues of bottle include DA Levy, Jim Lowell, Jon & Gypsy Lou Webb, Gutenberg, &, for issue #1, a glorious linocut with portraits of every poet involved + an artist & an editor...so I'd guess Malone is on the cover because the editor holds him in similar esteem to all the previously mentioned small press/printing magnates...

bill scans the interwebs for the hottest pieces of poetry ass and then shamelessly emblazons them on the cover of his magazine, all to boost sales among the perverts looking for cheap thrills. whatever anyone else says, that's the real answer.

May I ask why was the picture of Marvin Malone chosen for the front cover? Is there any connection between the 20 poets and him?... I know Bukowski's poems were published in The Wormwood Review several times, but I don't know about the others. Or was it a different reason for it? I'm really interested in this as I'm thinking of buying this item, but am a little held back by the cover, if this makes any sense :)

bogdan;

Yes, that is a rather odd reason to NOT buy it.

The reason that Marvin Malone is on the cover is because I greatly admire him and what he did. I think that he is an unsung hero to poetry (not just small press poetry). He should be more of a household name, but this is poetry, not Hollywood.

With the exception of Gutenberg, all other people on the covers are giants in the small press. Most of them had regular day jobs to pay the bills. Like most of us, they did it for the love of the word, not out of desire to profit from it.

Marvin Malone was a highly respected scientist, husband, & father... He also edited, in his spare time, over 140 issues of Wormwood Review over a span of 36 years.

That is dedication.

That doesn't make sense...I've never been on the cover of Bottle...
...ask and you shall receive....

http://www.bospress.net/ebay/bottle7.pdf

At least you'll receive my lame attempt at a joke.

There has to be someone here that can come up with something better...

Bill

At least you'll receive my lame attempt at a joke.

Well, it is pretty funny to put a photo of Rasputin as a young man on the cover of Bottle No. 7! Have a look at his eyes. Even as a young man Rasputin had a penetrating gaze. ;)

It is an honor and a privilege (a long overdue one I might add), and I would like to thank you, Bill, and the academy.

And now I reject your honor, and insist my Indian "companion" Runs With Stanzas be put on the cover. Or do you fear a strong woman of color?! Ha! I thought so!

Hollywood.

Got mine today...

Fantastic stuff! Bill, the best BOTTLE yet--I'm digging all the little touches here & there, the photos...& the clammie...man oh man...great job man!

Got my two contributor copies and they are gorgeous ... and with different photos on the soft cover. I can only imagine how cool the clamshells must be. The Brautigan poem is really choice. I love it when he writes about fish, and the fish images in the border are perfect. Haven't read the rest yet.

My two cents: Marvin Malone being on the cover is an absolute plus. It adds huge value to the magazine. Malone was a towering giant in the small press poetry world. I instantly got why he was there: of course he's on the cover! No need to explain it.

I come from a different background. I live on the other side of the globe, that's how different it is. There's no small press here publishing limited editions, numbered, lettered, signed, whatsoever. There are no Marvin Malones. No poetry broadsides. Or maybe they are, but I'm just not aware of it all. So I ask. I always ask. That's why... I asked :)

Thanks Bill for your answer. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive.

bill;

got mine yesterday. HOLY SHIT, man, this is the most amazing one yet...some of those broads are unreal.

and the little AD Winans book? my god, that thing is fucking crazy. you, sir, are a motherfucker of a fine craftsman.

thanks so much for sticking my words in there with all that majesty.

Yes, got my two contrib copies a few days ago and just perfect stuff! Looking forward to getting the two extras I bought just so I can feel good about supporting such a fine effort ... as Carly Simon would say, "nobody does it better."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back