Bukowski poems set to music (2 Viewers)

As the legal owner of this image, I have the exclusive right to make derivative works...
But Bukowski's estate does not enjoy the same rights. Got it.

Anyway, I get your point. You believe that the words of any poet, or at least your beloved Buk, should never be translated into other form, ever, and that anyone who tries is by that very fact (the correct translation of ipso facto) pretentious and pompous.
No, I believe that anyone who "translates" another person's creative work is devoid of any creativity themselves. That you are pretentious and pompous is unrelated to your lack of creativity.

I hope that clears it up for you.

the reason the baritone will fail bukowski is that it is almost impossible to maintain a sufficiently smokey voice when hitting a low D... and we all know that it ain't nuthin' if it ain't SMOKEY!

Hey, Composer. I just checked out your site. Massive studio setup. How long you lived in Bangers? Hugely off topic I know, but I can't send you a personal message.
ON and off since 1990, but I moved here in 1997. The studio isn't large by Hollywood scoring standards, but it's enough to make finished recordings and thus not have to beg musicians for an under-rehearsed and sloppy performance..

the reason the baritone will fail bukowski is that it is almost impossible to maintain a sufficiently smokey voice when hitting a low D... and we all know that it ain't nuthin' if it ain't SMOKEY!
Ah, in this day of Autotune and VocAlign, anything is possible, especially making it sound as if your typical pop diva can sing.

What about the reverse - people taking instrumental music or songs, and adding or changing words? I cringe whenever I hear The Black-Eyed Peas do "Pump It" (Dick Dale's "Miserlou"), but there are probably some old Moravians pissed off at him for appropriating their folk song.

Or Elvis "adapting O Solo Mio (It's Now or Never) and Plaisir d'Amour (I Can't Help Falling in Love With You), among others? Or Stranger in Paradise (Borodin's Polovtsian Dances)? or Screamin Jay Hawkins' I Put a Spell on You, which is really Beethoven's Triple Concerto.

No, I believe that anyone who "translates" another person's creative work is devoid of any creativity themselves (sic).

So that would include:

Robert Schumann, Dichterlieder, poetry of Heinrich Heine;
Johannes Brahms, Five Songs Op. 104, poetry of Freidrich Rueckert, Max Kalbeck, KLaus Groth;
Gustav Mahler, Das Lied von der Erde, Chinese texts translated into German by Hans Bethge;
Carl Orff, Carmina Burana, medieval poetry;
Edgard Varese, Ecuatorial, texts by Anais Nin;
Pierre Boulez, Le Marteau Sans Maitre, poetry of Rene Char;
Witold LutosÅ‚awski Trois poémes d'Henri Michaux.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back