Bukowski Sampler -- variants? (1 Viewer)

For $150, the '84 NYG to Purdy had better be HC. If not, run away.

The '82 NYG is nice enough, but not one of the more special ones ('69, '76 and '91 being standouts from a production standpoint). But a signed HC NYG for $125 is basically the going rate. You won't find them often for less and if they are listed higher, they rarely sell.

So today was the first chance I had to visit the bookstore where I saw the Bukowski materials I mentioned recently in this thread. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but if I may rephrase, this picture is worth $200

Buk collection.jpg

I'm feeling pretty good about this purchase. Any guilt I might have about the monetary expense for these titles will shortly be drowned by a bottle of fine Argentinian malbec that I bought with the $57 saved thanks to my haggling acumen.

I finally have a Bukowski signed piece! (NYG-1984 -#44)

Thanks for letting me indulge you all on this thread and thanks for all your advice.

Indeed it does. It reads sharp, to the truth without any extraneous effort. Yes, these poems can be found elsewhere, but this Sampler is a beauty to behold. Blazek's introduction sets up the casual Buk reader for a royal flush of discovery. Buk's doodles throughout add to what at the time must have been a significant representation of a man's art. A humble offering of a radiant genius of words... Verbosity taketh over + good spirits... overcome with joy...

No, I'm afraid I was mistaken concerning what I thought was an inscribed NYG to Al Purdy. It was actually a copy that was sent via Paget press to be given to Purdy. On the purple paper dust jacket is a inscription from someone at Paget to Purdy. I got the NYG '84 and The Sampler for $200. I purchased these items at a bookstore in Sidney, BC where Al Purdy resided towards the end of his life. The owner told me that he used to frequent the store quite often.

Question - obviously a true edition of this book would be most desireable, but let's say you can't afford it and you find that cream colored "unofficial" edition for a reasonable price...does the bootleg version lack any of the text of the official editions? Would it be frowned upon to own such a a thing, if only for reading purposes?

I'd say pick up any copy you find if the price is right. It's not in print right now, so its reading the words that really matters.

And no, I'm not aware of an omissions. Remember that the later editions contain material not collected in the first. Whether the later editions are strictly bootlegs is another matter. I prefer to say 'possibly not strictly authorised reprints'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back