Bukowski saying it better than his influences (1 Viewer)

1/
“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”
- D.H Lawrence

“Find what you love and let it kill you.”
- Bukowski

2/
“Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot.”
- D.H Lawrence

“If it doesn’t come bursting out of you in spite of everything, don’t do it. unless it comes unasked out of your heart and your mind and your mouth and your gut, don’t do it.”
- Bukowski.

DH Lawrence said heaps of Bukowski things before Bukowski ever did. This is just a couple of them. But Bukowski says it with more character, fire and flair. More relatable.

But it made me order the best of DH Lawrence. What a legend.

That's an interesting thought (Bukowski expressing a point better than his influences), but this quote:

“Find what you love and let it kill you.”

is not from Bukowski.

So John Martin wrote his most popularly spread internet quotes?

John Martin is a genius. Where can I buy his books?

My feeling is that people have such intimacy with bukowski they feel like hes their 'girlfriend'. So we all get comments of the 'you dont know him at all' variety'. Hes everyones bitch

so now you're saying he didn't write bukowski's books with that link, zobraks? you're an ok-ish troll. but you don't have to slavishly emulate bukowski's cuntish dislike of people also, zobraks. find your own identity

The other one is from Bukowski, but John Martin edited it, meaning he changed it in a way most people on this forum find unacceptable.
thanks johannes, thats super helpful.

zobraks? you're an ok-ish troll. but you don't have to slavishly emulate bukowski's cuntish dislike of people also, zobraks. find your own identity
The Zoo man is a little rough around the edges, but it's only because he has a cause.

I find your proposition interesting, and I'm sure it was embarrasing to find out about the bullshit quote, but take a gentle step back and read what was sent to you.

We need folks with passion around this place like Zoolander... And possibly you.

zobraks. apologies. thanks for the helpful tips.
you can't.

unfortunately, he's more of the "collaborator" type...
i was being a smart-arse when i said this.
The Zoo man is a little rough around the edges, but it's only because he has a cause.

I find your proposition interesting, and I'm sure it was embarrasing to find out about the bullshit quote, but take a gentle step back and read what was sent to you.

We need folks with passion around this place like Zoolander... And possibly you.

You're a kind soul. thanks for the lovely words.

i was a bit embarrased to begin with.

but realised i'm not about trying to be finicky with the words.

i'm about idea and sentiment.

i wanted to avoid detail. and rather get into broad brushstrokes.

i was just sourcing quotes that i can find. i'd like to hear the original version of the quote?

i guess it still doesn't fog my original idea: that both bukowoski and dh lawrence are both crapping on about the same thing?

sorry, i'm not an attention to details man, unless the detail is in the cloud.

apologies all. i never wanted to get 'lost in the detail'

i just wanted to say that both wonderful artists had similar ideas.

that can't be denied. i think.

bring on DH Lawrence!

thanks. read. appreciated.

i still think bukowski was riffing on dh lawrence (despite martins reworking).

i'd like to hear the original version of the quote?
There is no original version of "find what you love," because someone else said it.

The original version of so you want to be a writer is here. There's a comparison of the two version here. The original version of your quote is:

if it doesn't come rushing out of you,
don't do it.
unless it comes bursting out of your
ears and your head and your ass
and your bellybutton,
don't do it.​

No "unasked," no "heart," no "mind," you get the drift.

'bursting out of your bellybutton' is very cool. almost a birth/umbilical cord to creativity. so yes. it misses this. thanks for sharing

so why does john martin change such vital stuff? ego? AND who takes over the bukowski stuff when martin dies? will this person just leave his stuff be?
hey zobraks.
so are you published? an published critic? or an unpublished genius?
just curious?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a writer. I have a whole trunk full of manuscripts. 4 novels, 40 short stories. 500 poems. Nothing published. A rotten world, they can't recognize a talent, they keep talent down.
You have to have an "in," that's all there is to it. Look at Danny V.
Rotten cock-sucking world...

who takes over the bukowski stuff when martin dies? will this person just leave his stuff be?
The editing has already been taken away from Martin. His changes were pointed out to Linda Bukowski and she was furious about it and told HarperCollins that she didn't want him editing any more books. They wanted him to do one more, another anthology, and she flat out refused. The Continual Condition was the last one he edited, and that was almost seven years ago, so that's the end of that.

The guy doing it now is Abel Debritto, he's cirerita here in the forum. He goes to great lengths to remain faithful to what Bukowski wrote. Check out On Writing, On Cats and On Love to see his work.

It should also be mentioned that City Lights publishes a lot of Bukowski prose, edited by David Calonne, who is David here in the forum. He treats the work with the same respect that Abel does. He edited Portions From A Wine-Stained Notebook, Absence of the Hero, More Notes of a Dirty Old Man and The Bell Tolls for No One.

I'm a writer. I have a whole trunk full of manuscripts. 4 novels, 40 short stories. 500 poems. Nothing published. A rotten world, they can't recognize a talent, they keep talent down.
You have to have an "in," that's all there is to it. Look at Danny V.
Rotten cock-sucking world...

sorry to hear. feel free to send me a poem or two to [email protected]
i can't do anything about it, but happy to read

Hey, I was just kidding. You haven't read All the Great Writers (from Erections, Ejaculations,... and The Most Beautiful Woman in Town) recently, right?

I couldn't write a poem if my life depended on it.
At least not a good one.

Last edited:
The management will promptly erase your poem*, it's forbidden to post one's poetry here.
I like the bed-train-desk-train-bed dynamics of your poem though. Sounds familiar in some spooky way.

*but I have it copy-pasted for the posterity!

It's OK with me, but the management is touchy about members' poetry. They had some bad experiences with people posting their poetry here.
I think you'll like to read this.
Take some time to read more topics here, you won't regret it.

good to know. and its a fair enough call too. its not about 'us'. it's called 'bukowski.net" for a reason. i gettit. shant again. that almost sounded like shart. i didn't shart my pant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back