Bukowski's effect on how you work (or don't work) (1 Viewer)

Does anyone/many/some on this forum have a similar view as Bukowski towards their own work/job?

I, like many, have some of that same Bukowski view - and to be honest in can be a hinderance and at other times a help.

I think the corporate world is any many ways as conformist in design as the military - this view is strenghtened daily.

(No need to define how Bukowski felt about work).

A picture is worth a thousand words:
Scream.jpg

That's how I feel about work.

Figured hating work also involved too much energy. Just tried to survive. The big reward was the pension (albeit cut because of my age) at 55. Doing as little as possible as much as possible. And even that involves work. ;-)
work is a drag.png

work makes me.jpg

I too hate work, Bukowski made me realize I wasn't the only one who thought it was insane.

I've always loved this line from factotum

"It was true that I didn’t have much ambition, but there ought to be a place for people without ambition, I mean a better place than the one usually reserved. How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?"

I had strong feelings about work long before I discovered Bukowski. It turns out he and I share similar views. He seems to have been a prolific worker though, whereas I on the other hand seem to be a prolific malingerer. I haven't worked for so so long, and church mice look upon me with pity.
I'd like a job, I need a job. I can see the value in work, the problem is the whole thing isn't treated with a humanitarian system in place, it's open slavery in all but name, and we in the West are the lucky ones! The majority upon this strange old planet of ours don't have anything resembling a living wage. It's horrific when you stop to look at it. Make it fucking fair. If it was fair there would be less working hours and higher wages, and less poverty. I'm not talking about communism, just make things fairer. But why would a rich slave driving psychopath be interested in fairness? They're only interested in profiting off the back of human blood, sweat, and tears. The whip is on our back. They've got us by the balls and as each year passes the harder they squeeze it seems. Terrible state of affairs it is.

Good ol' George nails it.

Last edited:
Personally, I like my career. It took me a while. I didn't start until I was 26. Before that, I worked job after job that I hated, which is coincidentally when I discovered Bukowski!

George Carlin is great. Chris Rock also has a bit where he talks about his first job at ( if I remember correctly) The Red Lobster. The difference between a job and a career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back