Californication (1 Viewer)

have seen the first 3 or 4 episodes now.
it really is only VERY SLIGHTLY 'based on' Bukowski, if At All.
[except: in ep 1 (30:26) AND 2 (25:42) he is called 'Dirty Old Man' - HA HA!]

but look:
the whole social surrounding is so entirely different. it's not only the Porche. It's living in big houses, having pools, wearing suits, etc.
This is NOT East-Hollywood in Any way.

and the clean rooms, clean clothes, fresh hair-dos, perfect makeup. All in well condition. some of the shots have this superclean 80s aestetic. Brrrr!

The only REALLY funny moment (and not stolen from Buk) was, when his 12 yo daughter visits him and says: "There's a woman in your bedroom. She has no hair on her vagina. Do you think she is o.k.?"

Hi Roni;
No it is not based on Buk per se, but I can see the pitch going like this:

"The main character is a writer, a bit like Charles Bukowski, but he is young and rich. He has sex with lots of women. He drinks. We'll call it "Californication" to get those Gen Xers that know the song from the Red Hot Chili Peppers... and it stars David Duvhovny."

Also remember that when he was out promoting this show on TV talk shows before it came out, he actually mentioned Bukowski by name. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe he had started reading Bukowski when he was told that the character was LOOSELY based on him.

Hollywood has very few original ideas. By Hollywood standards this is a somewhat original idea. They usually just rip off shows from other networks or from the BBC. I'm sure that everyone remembers the rush to rip off Survivor, followed by the rush to rip off Who Wants to be A Millionaire, followed by the rush to rip off American Idol (even to the point that they have the EXACT same style judges; (Hip young judge, sympathetic woman (always sitting in the middle), brash Brit). How these people can sleep at night when everyone in the world sees them as unoriginal, sad little people, I can't figure out. I guess the money helps.

I don't think that they based it LOOSELY on Buk becuase that would make a hit show. I think that one of the creators was probably a fan and used Bukowski as a slight inspiration for the character. These ideas do not usually fall out of the sky.

Except for TinTin. That idea fell from the sky.

Bill

I too, think Buk was an inspiration at some level. I've only seen a few episodes, but I think the main character seems a bit Buk-ish. It could be a coincidence, of course. There's certainly some things that reminds one of Buk. It takes place in California. He's a writer who loves drink and women a lot. He has a daughter who lives by her mother. THey even show a Buk book in one episode. I'm sure some of you can mention more Buk-ish stuff.

Bill, I'm sorry to hear you lost your clearance. I'm sure both Mulder and Scully feels the same way. Now we'll never know about the Duchovny - Tin-Tin link. It's tough not to be a Bush-ite. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
(snip...)
Bill, I'm sorry to hear you lost your clearance. I'm sure both Mulder and Scully feels the same way. Now we'll never know about the Duchovny - Tin-Tin link. It's tough not to be a Bush-ite. :D

This sounds like a bunch of Bush Shit to me.;)

TimUndStruppi.jpg

roni; you need to be banned. My poor dog is hiding now and may need therapy.

The dog use to love and sit by the computer with me. Now what will happen?

Does anyone know this show, or like it? It just finished up an amazing second season on Showtime. The first season is out on DVD. The show stars David Duchovny as Hank Moody. A drunken, womanizing, struggling (more mentally than financially) writer living in California. The influence of Bukowski is abound in the show. First off, the character's name, Hank Moody (like...Henry/Hank Chinaski, the drinking, and the womanizing. Their writing themes appear to be similar, and there are a few scenes to which Bukowski is referred to by name.

Anyway, I highly recommend the show in general, but I thought people who loved Bukowski could really get into this show. Definitely worth checking out.

I will look for this at my favorite video store next time. (Probably tonight actually).
But if I rent it and don't like it, am I eligible for a federal bailout from the U.S. Bank of Ginsoski ?

I was afraid of that.:)

After reading and hearing about this series, I have decided it probably is worth a shot. For the Buk references alone, but I'm also curious to see if a "struggling" writer can be portrayed convincingly. Especially by an actor that I've never been impressed by in the past. But hey - Jennifer Aniston pulled off "The Good Girl" pretty well IMO, so anything's possible.

I'll give it a shot, but its gonna be tough to suspend the x-files baggage with Duchovney. And isnt he kinda pretty, or has he gained some credibility by the misuse of some years?

Forget the Buk-references.
Even his kitchen looks like it's never been used. (In fact it looks exactly like a fake kitchen just built in a studio to be shot.)
The whole show is so FAKE!

There's a Californication thread in the Video etc section, here.

Threads merged.

I watched this new show Californication, with David Duchovny playing the character Hank Moody. I was told that he is loosly based on bukowski, and there are certain similarities, but i feel as a bit fool asking this, since i thought I new, just at little bit about Bukowski, but did Bukowski have a writers block?

I'm new to Bukowski, so I've not read alot about him, I've seen a few movies about him, but mostly I just read his work, so I have not come across anything yet, where a writers block has been mentioned.

Please enlighten me...?

Elias
Denmark

Welcome aboard, Elias! - No, I don't think Bukowski ever suffered from writers block. If he suffered from writers block he couldn't have written all the books he did...

Finally, three or four years late I watched a couple of episodes and it's completely obvious and dull crap.

Must have been dreamd up by some horny fifteen-year-old, like, let's see, if I walk out of the door five beautiful women bend down to give me a blowjob ... but why should they do this? Oh, because I'm a rockstar-like-writer!

It has nothing to do with Bukowski whatsoever, except what a horny fifteen year old would might get out of reading Women.

No groundbreaking news on this show here, just wanted to share my deep and meaningful insights.

I tried to give that show a shot. IFC Canada runs 4 (I think?) episodes consecutively here on Friday nights, so I sat down and watched a few.

ugh.

the Hank Moody character is so unlikable and smug, but that's probably because Duchovney (sp?) isn't acting, but playing himself. maybe if he had a sense of humour I could forgive him a bit.

The only "highlight", and I never thought I would ever say something like this, was Rob Lowe as demented insane oscar-winning hollywood actor.

[This video is unavailable.]

Rob Lowe has made a good career move by not taking himself too seriously and being able to poke fun at himself. Parks and Recreation, for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back