Commentary (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
Looking at Dorbin tonight, he had a section simply titled "Commentary." It just lists publications where he didn't necessarily have contributions in the publication, but rather reviews and other... commentary. I sometimes have trouble deciding where to post these types of things. Perhaps we should have something similar?

Or maybe it already exists and I'm an idiot...

That section of Dorbin is all things written by other people, so maybe related posts should go in "Biographies & memoirs." I don't know if there are enough posts to justify a whole forum, but if there were, it would live under "Biographies & memoirs."

"Biographies & memoirs."
is there an English term like "Secondary Literature"?
Because in German it is ("Sekundärliteratur"), meaning not only bios and memoirs but also scholarly books on the author and his work etc.

(for example you'd also find Abel's PhD there or the yearbooks of the Buk-Society or the book by Jules Smith etc)

Biographies, Memoirs, Academic?

It already says, "About Bukowski, not by Bukowski," so I thought the umbrella was already there. But it can be called anything.

I thought the umbrella was already there
it is.
I was just wondering if there's such a term as "Secondary Literature" in English, as it is common in German (as opposed to or following "Primary Literature", which is by the author himself of course).

"Primary literature" is used in the science field to designate journals and/or reference books of generally known (high) quality in contrast to less authoritative sources. For example, any journal published by the American Chemical Society (ACS) or Elsevier (which includes Academic Press and Pergamon Press) would be considered to be Primary Literature, but there's no real formal definition of the term.

One would think that other sources not considered primary would fall into "Secondary Literature," but no one I know uses that term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back