Displaying signed books... (1 Viewer)

nervas

more crickets than friends
Does anyone have pictures of what they use to display a signed book? Or anyone have an idea where to buy something like the picture below? I found this online, but they sell them for $120.00, which is more money than the signed books I want to display are worth. It looks cool, but $120.00? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also looking at the picture again, I imagine leaving a book in that position would also lessen the value if you wanted to sell it? In any event the books I want to display I wouldn't be selling anyway.

bookdisplay.jpg

buk_art03-jpg.jpg

$20 at Aaron Brothers.

But the book isn't in there anymore. I don't have any books in displays, they're all on the bookshelf.

Yeah I thought the same thing Gerard, but I'm not technically inclined to build anything, but it does look rather easy. That's cool mjp and thanks for the aaron brothers tip. The price at 20bucks is reasonable. I'll probably take a trip to aaron bro's over the weekend.

OK, not to sound like a book dandy or something, but be careful if you make one of these countertop displays. These things would things to consider:

1) support under the book so that it does not lose its shape from the weight of the book sitting open.
2) make sure that glass is UV protected or you will see your book fade out, especially if in a sunny area.
3) Place a few pieces of Acid free paper (or a piece of acid free mat board) under the book. If you are using a plastic base, you should be ok, but wood has all kind of nasty chemicals which, over time, could damage the book.
4) you can always put a couple dried flowers in the case :) This will give the spine an aroma that all the book collectors are after. Better than a musty smoke smell and almost as good as that new book binding smell. Experiment with aromas... :) My favorite is a chocolate / orange smell :) :)

Of course, I am overreacting to this, but it is better to be safe and spend a couple extra bucks than to have a beautiful book damaged by the very thing that was supposed to protect and display it.

Bill

Agreed on 1, 2 and 3. Important.

In the picture that I posted above you can see a small wood block covered in acid free paper supporting the book. I wanted the frame to stand up, so the support was necessary.

The book stayed in that frame for a few years without any bad side effects. But I wouldn't do it again. I'd rather keep them on the shelf.

is the painting attached to the book or loose? i like the way it still has the sketchbook holes at the top.

is the painting attached to the book or loose? i like the way it still has the sketchbook holes at the top.
It is bound in. All the BSP books that include art bind the art in. Unfortunately. If it were loose I could frame it.
Is that a real Buk painting?
Yes.
If I'm not mistaken, that's mjp's copy of War All the Time w/ art. I didn't realize the tipped in paintings still had the torn ring binder-edge on them.
Yep, War All The Time. They don't all have the torn-off-the-spiral-notebook bit. In fact, now that you mention it, I rarely see that.

OK, not to sound like a book dandy or something, but be careful if you make one of these countertop displays. These things would things to consider:

1) support under the book so that it does not lose its shape from the weight of the book sitting open.
2) make sure that glass is UV protected or you will see your book fade out, especially if in a sunny area.
3) Place a few pieces of Acid free paper (or a piece of acid free mat board) under the book. If you are using a plastic base, you should be ok, but wood has all kind of nasty chemicals which, over time, could damage the book.
4) you can always put a couple dried flowers in the case :) This will give the spine an aroma that all the book collectors are after. Better than a musty smoke smell and almost as good as that new book binding smell. Experiment with aromas... :) My favorite is a chocolate / orange smell :) :)

Of course, I am overreacting to this, but it is better to be safe and spend a couple extra bucks than to have a beautiful book damaged by the very thing that was supposed to protect and display it.

Bill

This post is one of the nearly countless reasons why we love Bottle of Smoke Press.

Bill, you are a book dandy! What a great term. I agree on 1 through 3. Number 4 is new to me. I have to experiment with that. Herbal teas might work. My favorite is Blueberry. It's almost as good as wine.

What many museums do is make a color xerox of the page in question and frame that instead of the original document. Then you don't have to worry about damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back