Do you know any writers/novels that Bukowski hated ? (1 Viewer)

G

GDPR 9650

Just watched a piece of a documentary, where, Bukowski attacks 'Under the Volcano' and its author 'Malcolm Lowry'. Although, I disagree with him; I thought it was a pretty funny comment. So, are there any other writers or novels that he shit on it ?

Here's the video If you haven't seen it.

he dissed virtually every writer at some point in his life.

it would be easier to make a list of the ones he liked and just put everyone else on the "hated" list.

if you really care, check the indexes in the books of his letters for authors names and what he says about them.

as well, there's countless references to writers that he liked and disliked in ALL his writing and interviews so you're just gonna have to start digging.

[...]
I love drama. I ordered majority of his work, already. However, because of my job, I'm constantly traveling so I haven't got time to dig in yet.

Anyway, thanks for the insight. Much appreciated.

On Shakespere - I cut and pasted off a sight, I think it's a genuine quote

He's unreadable and overrated. But people don't want to hear that. You see, you cannot attack shrines. Shakespeare is embedded through the centuries. You can say "So-and-so is lousy actor!" But you can't say Shakespeare is shit. The longer something is around, snobs begin to attach themselves to it, like suckerfish. When snobs feel something is safe...they attach. The moment you tell them the truth, they go wild. They can't handle it. It's attacking their own thought process. They disgust me.

Also I'm going on memory but I remember reading something along the lines of -
Here I was in a cheep room, drinking and starving and he was talking about the troubles of a king

He dissed Allen Ginsberg a few times... recently read this from the Howard Sounds biog where they were reading together

"Everyone knows after Howl you never wrote anything worth a shit" said Bukowski, angry his offer of a drink had been rejected. He turned to the people around them, and asked "Has Allen written anything worth a shit since Howl and Kaddish?"

it would be easier to make a list of the ones he liked and just put everyone else on the "hated" list.
That pretty much sums it up.
On the ALL-time positive-list I see Fante and Locklin. Then nobody.
Even Céline got negative critics when it came to other books than 'Journey'.

Hello,

I was reading 'You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense', and I got to a great poem called 'Beasts Bounding Through Time (I'm not aware of how popular this particular poem is)' and in that poem Bukowski mentioned various writers, some of which were criticized by him, like : Faulkner, Shakespeare, Burroughs (I'm not sure about him per se; but from what I read, he wasn't a Beat's fan).

So that led me to think that he had a certain respect for those writers. I don't think he liked them; hell the poem isn't flattering, he's not praising those people, but I would assume that even though he didn't like some (or most, I don't know) of them, that he at least acknowledged their importance as writers and/or as figures in the literary world; as human beings struggling with their demons using literature as a mean to numb their pain.

That's one of the things that I took from my reading.

Am I wrong about this ? Do you have any thoughts that would clarify or dispute what I wrote ? I would love to hear other opinions.

Edit : Maybe 'respect' isn't the right word. Maybe I should've written sympathy, or empathy, something like that...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know If I can do this (If I can't, I'm sorry), here's the poem :

Beasts Bounding Through Time

Hemingway testing his shotgun
Céline going broke as a doctor of medicine
the impossibility of being human
Villon expelled from Paris for being a thief
Faulkner drunk in the gutters of his town
Burroughs killing his wife with a gun
Mailer stabbing his