duplex printer/scanner recommendations (1 Viewer)

I paid around $3000.00 for my monochrome laser printer about 5 years ago. Just the duplex unit costs twice as much as this printer. I guess these things have come down in price but they still kill you on the toner.

Hi;
Are you planning on printing color and black and white? I have a HP3600n. It does not duplex, but when you are printing more than one copy at a time, it is easy to work around this. I paid $700 for mine years ago, and it now sells for $300-$400 new, which is cheaper than buying new toner. If you are planning on just printing black, then any black laser without duplex will work, but make sure you check to see the heaviest weight paper than can be fed. If you decide to print cover stock, many of these printers will jam. I made sure thatr mine would print up to 140lb cardstock before getting it. Still, it has a tough time with heavy weights, but it works.

Bill

bill,
is it not a complete pain in the ass to have to re-feed the paper with a non-duplex?

the colour thing i'm not sure about. i mean, i can't see us needing to print anything other than black for text... but maybe will want to use colour for something?? i just don't know. what's your experience with this bill? do you feel like you need a colour printer?

justine said:
the colour thing i'm not sure about. i mean, i can't see us needing to print anything other than black for text... but maybe will want to use colour for something?? i just don't know. what's your experience with this bill? do you feel like you need a colour printer?

I think that color is pretty important for the covers and maybe the title page.

Refeeding a nonduplex printer is easy once you know if you take it out and flip it or take it out without flipping it. The problem with a duplex printer is that if there is one page that misfeeds, it can screw up all of your other pages. I always print 100 of the first page, flip it and print 100 of the back. Then 100 of the next page, etc. If I have a page pull through wrong, I only lose one page. If I print full books duplexed and one page pulls through wrong, you could have volumes of wrong books. Also, you can pick up a collator on Ebay for about $40 which will make it much easier tyo take stacks of papers and make them into books.

If you guys want to get on a plane and come out here some weekend, I'll show you all that I have learned (and we can print some books letterpressed for CP).

I'm just sayin'

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back