• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Ebay... Ask the Dust nice First up for sale... (3 Viewers)

That is very under priced.... I would bet that it will go for over $1000.

Anyone remember what the last one went for in far worse condition?

Bill

Oh, man. That is so goddamn awesome. I want it! Had my own find on E-Bay last week: a signed first ed. of Didion's The Last Thing He Wanted (1996) for -- are you ready for this? -- ten dollars. Ten smackers before S&H. In mint, unread condition. Bought it from Books for America, a charitable foundation whose proceeds go to the Literacy Foundation. Watch for their auctions; there are some good deals.

Wow, that's a ridiculously good deal.

And as for this Ask the Dust... Every time one of these shows up, I want to max out my credit card... But I don't. I will own one someday though. Someday...

I've been good about staying off Ebay recently... No money to go around at the end of the month... I'm gonna make sure this is the only thing I look at this week too :p

But I certainly will drool over it for awhile... Oh yes, quite awhile.

And I keep peeking at it... $25 shipping? Even with insurance, confirmation, and EXPRESS it would hardly come near $25 to ship. Incredible. However... had I the money, I'd pay a LITERAL arm and\or leg to get it to me... sigh.

LickTheStar said:
And I keep peeking at it... $25 shipping? Even with insurance, confirmation, and EXPRESS it would hardly come near $25 to ship. Incredible. However... had I the money, I'd pay a LITERAL arm and\or leg to get it to me... sigh.

Dude screw it.... go for it. You only live once... hell I'm tempted myself but I can't.

joe

This copy is restored. I wonder what the extent of the restoration was. Be good if the seller could offer some before restoration photos.

BTW Bill... received the book in the mail today. Thanks.

joe

Someone here has to remember what that last copy with the destroyed DJ went for/...

LTS, I'm looking in your direction...

Point well taken. Which is why I continue to look at it and wonder... I'll be checking up on it later tonight as it gets closer. If the $500 was a buy it now... I'd probably already have snatched it up... As it is, I have enough credit card debt at the moment... But I'd probably get more in debt if it came down to it.

And it may... :p

That last one as what, though... $1500? Crazy. I'm still hoping for that one garage sale where I find a signed first ed in fine condition. When I find that, I'll be sure to pass along those copies of The Genius of the Crowd when I do...

That's part of the reason I don't want to pay too much. Though I do have to say... I wouldn't be much too miffed if it were restored. It all depends on how the inside looks really.. Still...

As much as I love the first edition... I really want a signature. And those are even MORE expensive. So I've put in my bid, if it goes higher, I'll save my money for a signed one (ha ha).

It all depends on how the inside looks really..
That's what makes me wonder how much restoration was done to the cover, because that pic of the book looks like it could be kind of a mess. Hard to tell really, but it looks like it could have some foxing or mildew.

On a completely unrelated note, do you have any of the Fante stuff from the 1940's illustrated by Valenti Angelo? My ex is related to Angelo and she collects Fante books that contain his illustrations. I don't know what made me think of that just now, but there you go.

Wouldn't the fact that the jacket is "restored" detract from the value to certain collectors?

Yeah, I think so that's why it's really important to find out what the extent of the restoration was. But if an earlier copy went for 1500 recently and it's jacket was in about the same condition, then in my opinion you have something here.

LTS:
If you decide to go for it then I say excellent... snipe that baby in the last min; it should be with a die hard fan of fante. If ya decide not to... PM me a few hours before auctions end will ya... ;)

:D

That's what makes me wonder how much restoration was done to the cover, because that pic of the book looks like it could be kind of a mess. Hard to tell really, but it looks like it could have some foxing or mildew.

On a completely unrelated note, do you have any of the Fante stuff from the 1940's illustrated by Valenti Angelo? My ex is related to Angelo and she collects Fante books that contain his illustrations. I don't know what made me think of that just now, but there you go.

I do not. I don't really own any uncommon or rare Fante stuff yet... Just a couple paperback editions of Full of Life from the first publication days.

I did see a copy of Dago Red at the Roseville library outside of Sacramento (along with a signed, inscriped copy of Ask the Dust on which they had placed, and then ripped off some sort of material, effectively ruining the signature, inscription, and simultaneously breaking my heart) and it was beautiful.

Outbid of my $700 bid. I went with what I had left on one credit card and that's that. I tried. Albeit not too hard. I may set my alarm to get up and check the final price, but we'll see. I'll own one some day.

Well, no luck this time. Made a last minute bid to try... Failed. Ah well, I'll get one some day. Not a bad price for the book, not a bad price at all. Its probably just as well, I've got enough debt as it is...

A friend of mine in Oregon who is a big Fante collector won it. I had a feeling that he would. He may have a copy to sell now since I know that he's bought several copies of this title over the years. I'll drop him a line and see if he plans to sell one. I doubt that he'll let one go for such a low price though.

Outbid of my $700 bid. I went with what I had left on one credit card and that's that. I tried. Albeit not too hard. I may set my alarm to get up and check the final price, but we'll see. I'll own one some day.

just saw the post. Sorry, that really bites. but maybe chronic can hook you up with a copy in the future.

Wow, that was a good price though.

next time.

A friend of mine in Oregon who is a big Fante collector won it. I had a feeling that he would. He may have a copy to sell now since I know that he's bought several copies of this title over the years. I'll drop him a line and see if he plans to sell one. I doubt that he'll let one go for such a low price though.

In Oregon eh? Just give me his street address, I can drive there and pick it up! :p

And its just as well. I'm already going to be paying back credit card bills for the next couple of years anyhow, so... I may as well not dig any deeper.

One thing I've found - and I'm sure most collectors here will agree - when that must have item slips through your fingers, there's always another one out there.

You know, unless it's Write magazine or something...

I agree... And, despite increased rarity amongst the 30s Fante stuff... I really want some of the BSP stuff too. Most of those signed ones were limited to 26, weren't they? Or were the 200 limited ones ALSO signed? Never having seen one in person, I'm unsure... Either way, I'm on the hunt for any rare Fante stuff...

I keep telling myself I'll buy a copy of Bravo, Burro but... I'd rather see a copy first. Well... someday.

You can still get some BSP Fante hardcover first editions pretty cheap. The early ones have already skyrocketed but I just picked up 3 nice ones from dealers including a lettered Big Hunger.

I say grab the low hanging fruit first so you have something in your collection.

I'm on the hunt for any rare Fante stuff...
Don't rule out periodicals. Fante published in a lot of magazines in the 30's too, and when you find them they are usually very affordable.

fantemercury.jpg

Don't rule out periodicals. Fante published in a lot of magazines in the 30's too, and when you find them they are usually very affordable.

Ah yes, I do enjoy those... I got a copy of the American Mercury with Fante's first story (well, Altar Boy was his first, right? I can't put my fingers on my biography right now) and it only cost me $10. I almost forgot I owned that.

I was happily surprised by that. When the awful movie came out a couple years ago, they were going for 5-10 times that... But signed copies of the BSP Ask the Dust were only $125-250. Really shoulda struck when THAT iron was hot... Ah well.

I was happily surprised by that. When the awful movie came out a couple years ago, they were going for 5-10 times that... But signed copies of the BSP Ask the Dust were only $125-250. Really shoulda struck when THAT iron was hot... Ah well.
A Signed BSP The Road To Los Angeles went for $250 on ebay last week.

yep, i picked up 2 copies of the american mercury on ebay for maybe 8 bucks apiece(give or take a few dollars, it's been a few years).

One thing I've found - and I'm sure most collectors here will agree - when that must have item slips through your fingers, there's always another one out there.

You know, unless it's Write magazine or something...
Is it possible BUK used a pseudonym when he wrote his piece for Write?

joe

A Signed BSP The Road To Los Angeles went for $250 on ebay last week.

I saw it but it didn't look quite right. Mainly because I wasn't sure if any beyond the 26 lettered ones were signed. I'm sad there's no Black Sparrow Press site like the collectingbukowski one. That would make things easier!

Maybe afraid of reprisal from his Dad. Maybe embarrassed. A guy growing up hard may be embarrassed initially.

Just throwing thoughts out. Talking outta my hat.

joe

Hi Joe,
But he did not seem to have the same issues with his desire for his parents approval (trust fund) that someone like Burroughs had that caused him to write his first novel under the name "William Lee".

I would not be surprised if Bukowski used a pseudonym much later (there have been rumors about Buk & Neeli putting their poems in Man the Humping under different names), but not early, when he would have wanted to see his work under his name in print.

Especially because there would be nothing to gain by keeping his name, except if the was nervous about anti European biases in the mid 40's, which would be the only reason that I could see that he could even gain from using a different name.

Still, it seems that he would have mentioned it in an interview, letter, etc.

If Cirerita has not seen anything like this, it has probably not been written...

Bill

p.s. As far as reprisals from his dad. I remember the story where the Father brought Portfolio to his job to brag about how it was "him" and not his son who wrote the piece. So he certainly would not have been upset by his son getting published.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back