• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

everything (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Uh, is it just me, or does Scott from Abandoned Planet have, like, a million auctions running right now? Rarely seen anything quite like it.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. At first I thought it was great, but then I started thinking that he was selling SO much that something might be up...

But I really hope not. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid.

It's mostly mags, right? Maybe a Bukowski x-collector needed a few bucks and sold them to Scott... or Scott found them in a trash-can, together with a hundred MSS no one has ever seen before which will be collected sooner than later ;)

Yeah it is pretty huge... I saw a couple of Bill's broadsides up there, but... just don't have the money. Which is a shame because they're beautiful.

i think he's purchased some large collections lately (i'm speculating here, but i also think his obscene fire sale at the store had something to do with getting rid of inventory in order to make room on his balance sheet for some higher dollar stuff). what didn't go directly to collectors is probably going to show up on ebay for a little while.

i wouldn't be surprised if this keeps up for a couple months... either way, now is not a good time to sell buk books on ebay.

Scott is selling some pretty rare early mag appearances for practically nothing! Approach?! When was the last time you saw one of those on the block? I shudder to remember what I paid for some of those late 50s mags when I bought copies many years ago.

And you're correct, jordan. This is a terrible time to sell.

Exactly mjp.
This is a perfect time to snag up some nice Buk items.

So the stuff that Stnickl bought within the last day or so:

that $25 check to Buk, from John Martin
a 'lettered' Hollywood
a 'lettered' Barfly
a 'presentation copy' of Beerspit and Cursing

Maybe he lost his ass in the stock market [...]

Aaah! good you bring in the stock market!

ever since i've read the following, i look for a maching situation to drop it. (as i always LOVE it when our Master gets visionary, or referring to situations that are happening just Now):

"... I think times are much harder than the gouvernment tells us. The gouvernment owes their balls to the banks and the banks have over-lent to businessmen who can't pay it back ..."
(from: 'Portions from a winestained notebook', p.156)

(of course, this would also apply to Father's comment on the low life of the working class nowadays ...)

Exactly mjp.
This is a perfect time to snag up some nice Buk items.

So the stuff that Stnickl bought within the last day or so:

that $25 check to Buk, from John Martin
a 'lettered' Hollywood
a 'lettered' Barfly
a 'presentation copy' of Beerspit and Cursing

I don't think he won Barfly. My ebay shows the winner as 'zygalpo'.
I bid on that one. It sold for about $140 less than it's previous ABE value.
Bit pissed I lost it actually

Oh damn, you're right.
For some reason I thought he scooped that one up too.
He might as well, since he's been buying up multiple copies of everything.
I guess when you get bored, and have the money to do so, you can start buying up every 'lettered' copy out there of the same title.

:)
Trust me, at one point, that seemed like a reasonable option to me...
"Only 26 lettered copies ever made.... Hmmm.... only 25 to go."

Well, with my current financial situation, I won't even look. Like how I'm staying out of the wine isle in the grocery store.

I like his description of The Bukowski Review (he's selling the first three copies in one auction):

"Long cold winter ahead? These three journals are chuck full of Bukowski related stuff. 64 pages, 64 pages and 72 pages. All in fine condition. After you read them toss them in the fire, have another drink, sit back and warm up."

Not a fan, I take it. Ha.

man o man, I don't know who is selling off thier collection thru AP on E-BAY, but they must be as broke as I,...too bad we're broke at the same time. shit.

According to what Scott wrote me about 2 or 3 months back, he's been pulling down boxes one at a time and will do so for a while still.

It really is a field day on ebay, but unfortunately, my money won't be going towards any of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back