expanding (1 Viewer)

I am looking to read a lot of books this summer, and although I love buk I do need to add some diversity into my library. I was hoping that you all could help by taking a couple of minutes and writing me a reply on a book or author that you really like and would reccomend. My favorite author is Fante and I read a lot of different things, from comic books by jeffery brown to gogol to dostoyevsky(sp) vonnegut, lawrence, blah blah blah, i'm just hitting a hard spot and haven't read a book that has blown my mind in a while. Any response is helpful.

please do not just write a title, i'd like a sort of personal reason behind the recommendation.
thanks

The Rainbow Stories and/or Whores for Gloria by William T Vollmann
The Unlimited Dream Company and/or High Rise and/or The Atrocity Exhibition by JG Ballard
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream by Jay Stevens
AND
Acid Dreams: LSD, The CIA, and The Sixties Rebellion by Martin Lee and Bruce Shlain
1984 by George Orwell
any Franz Kafka
any Mark Twain
any Edgar Allen Poe
and, of course, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson

Oh, and for a daily dose of wisdom with an edge: The Rude Pundit

I was thinking I might just look up Irving Stettner in the library. He was written about in a book called:

Miller, Bukowski & Their Enemies: Essays on Contemporary Culture by William Joyce.

That's for fiction.

For non fiction I read a book called The Culture of Make Believe -- by Derrick Jensen. Took me a while to get over that one. I don't know that I ever did.

Try Side Effects by Woody Allen; in my opinion the Bible of absurd humour (you'll love it or hate it).
Or American Psycho, Less than Zero or Laws of Attraction by Brett Easton Ellis; well-written nihilism.
Or novels by Richard "Kinky' Friedman; very funny with (usually) a great plot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back