Factotum, cardboard suitcase, Hamsun (2 Viewers)

In Factotum, Chinaski carries a cardboard suitcase. This is a reference to Knut Hamsun, but I can't track down which work it is from? Is it Hunger, Vagabonds?

Please stop posting things like this in threads that have nothing to do with your questions.

Start a new thread, friend. I know you can do it. I'm pulling for you.

My assumption would be Hunger because Fante makes a similar reference in Ask the Dust and Ask the Dust is heavily influenced by Hunger...

No chance then that Chinaski carried a cardboard suitcase because it was 1942 and he was broke? Just a thought.

In Factotum, Chinaski carries a cardboard suitcase.
And also in several short stories, no? I remember having met it not only in Factotum. For instance very recently in one of the stories of your Absence of the Hero, that I am currently reading.

My assumption would be Hunger because Fante makes a similar reference in Ask the Dust and Ask the Dust is heavily influenced by Hunger...
I know this is old, but I thought that Ask the Dust was influenced more by Pan. The lines "ask the dust" appear in Pan, as well.

Chapter 31. "The other he loved as a slave, as a madman and a beggar. Why? Ask the dust of the road and the leaves that fall, ask the mysterious God of life, for there is no other that knows such things." p. 87 in my Seven Treasures Publications copy.

Thanks!
Might I ask what source you got the quote from?
Found it yourself?

I'd say Buk prefered Hunger.
Can't remember him ever mentioning Pan.
Does mention Fante & Hamsun a LOT though, so maybe.

In Factotum, Chinaski carries a cardboard suitcase. This is a reference to Knut Hamsun, but I can't track down which work it is from? Is it Hunger, Vagabonds?

It's an old question, but why is this a reference to Knut Hamsun? Cardboard suitcases are (or at least were) very common, used by the poor. Is there something else there that makes it a Hamsum reference?

I have a professor who is a big Fante fan, Hamsun as well, and she gave me Pan. I found the lines myself, though. Hunger is a better novel I'd say, but Pan is not bad.

And I've come across older writers mentioning cardboard suitcases as well. I wouldn't say the use of cardboard suitcases is any reference to Hamsun, just poverty, as Rekrab pointed out.

Well, cardboard in those days wasn't that bad. I have one of those old cardboard suitcases. Its pretty strong with metal enforcements (?) on the corners. One of my forefathers used it on some trip across the Atlantic. We use it now to stack firewood in. Quite durable actually.

Good find on the Pan quote!

If you haven't read Hamsun's Mysteries you should.
Henry Miller liked it I think...

well buk liked the starving artist
of hamsuns hunger

[If you write responses in the form of poems they will be removed because we don't post users poetry. Cheers. -ed.]

it seems an annual
rite, like spring
or a nice beer shit

someone drifts in
and only posts
in fractured
verse

it's annoying and
hackneyed,
but life on the
inter
net

sometimes demands
you suffer
fools.

unfortunately, the net is also a place where otherwise nerdish bookworms can "act" all tough and self righteous

cheers

ps- odd that a hip writers forum (which i've been a member of 5 years) would consider anything not written horizontally as poetry...guess that makes an eye chart poesy...

nerdish bookworms can "act" all tough and self righteous
Yes, yes, and in "real life" you'd kick everyone's asses. We know, Rambo. You're not the first tough guy to come through the door.

But if you format your posts like poetry, we're going to delete them. A) because we don't let users post their own poetry, and B) because it's a pretentious and stupid affectation that we don't have to look at it if we don't want to.

Them's the breaks. If you don't like it, get into your pickup truck and go fag-bashing or whatever it is you do to blow off steam. When you feel better and you're all calmed down and over your roid rage, come on back.

Cheers.

ps- odd that a hip writers forum (which i've been a member of 5 years) would consider anything not written horizontally as poetry...

i'm pretty sure no one considered it poetry.

hence the "pretentious and stupid affectation" thingy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back