Factotum jobs (1 Viewer)

Just re-read Factotum for the second time. Wow. I didn't remember him talking about that many jobs which leads me to the question: how many jobs are mentioned in the book?
I'm sure someone has counted before. Save me some time and inform me.

You could have counted the jobs in the book yourself about 15 times by now. But I suppose it's the principle of the thing.

That's a funny buknet found, zobraks!

In the complete Belgian interview/documentary Buk speaks of 50/60 jobs. Plus in the post office.

You're probably right.
It's a senseless thread/question anyway. And it's also useless that Harrison started counting them.

22 seems way too low. I would have put it around the 50 mark, for sure. Someday when I'm not lazy (don't hold your breath), I'll count for myself. Until then I'll just continue to bitch that mjp is holding out on me.

As you may notice, you're one of the two or three people in the world who care about the actual number of jobs that Bukowski had, so you figure it out. That's how you become an expert in something. Then in the future, when the 4th or 5th person in the world wants the number, you'll be the go-to guy. Congratulations.

Harrison - and most other academics - have a fatal flaw in all of their work, and that is they take Bukowski's writing at face value. They have to, it's a self-imposed limitation of the footnote crowd. Bukowski's writing is not journalism, it's art, and most of them don't know what to do with art, because it's open to interpretation and not the dry facts that bring them such comfort.

Don't act like you don't have the number written down on a sheet of paper, laminated, under your pillow. Just quit being a dick and tell me. It'll cement your status as a Bukowski God.

We actually used to date. At first I thought he was like no one I had ever met. He was so interesting and... refreshing! But after a week of excuses as to why we hadn't had sex yet (the struggles with his follow up album and the anxiety he felt about being in public as a rising star who couldn't trust anyone anymore) I decided to end it... I hesrd he's doing a lot of gigs in North Korea these days...

Thanks for the free promo! This is awesome.

Quit picking on me, mjp. I'll have to get my dad to beat you up since you're the same age and all. Haha. Seriously, grow up. No wonder it's the the same 20 posters here. Hard to break in as a newbie. Most uninviting forum ever. Why can't you just be a civil human and use your vast knowledge of Bukowski to help answer questions instead of being a loser 55 year old? I picture you living in your parents basement and playing lots of Call of Duty.

PS - I'm stealing wimpcore as a genre and there isn't a damn thing you can do.

But emo? Really. Not since 2004 when I wrote songs like Dashboard Confessional.

And there are the same 21! posters here asshole, not 20. So go fuck yourself!

That actually came from an Angus Young interview I read once... He said...

"There are some people who say AC/DC have put out 12 albums and they All sound the same... Actually it's 13..."

Priceless thread. God bless the Internet and the seemingly endless human ingenuity when it comes to harassing each other.

Bukowski's writing is not journalism, it's art, and most of them don't know what to do with art, because it's open to interpretation and not the dry facts that bring them such comfort.
Ironically, one job that Buk did NOT get was the one he pined for at the LA Times - as a journalist.

And don't forget the electric company. He kept applying and getting rejected. Every time they came to his house he'd look them over trying to figure out what they obviously had that he did not.

even more ironic (or not) seems to me that - despite that the true list of his jobs actually IS impressive - Carl Weissner found it neccessary to make up jobs (and events) for the "about-the-author"-section of the German books, which have been re-printed for decades.

it was only 2 [!] years ago that Fischer-Verlag changed this habbit, which had been a tradition since the 70s.
(and from what I got, it was some guy from the Bukowski-Society to fight for that change and wrote 'em the new text they're using now in books and on amazon.)

Last edited:
Carl Weissner found it neccessary to make up jobs (and events) for the "about-the-author"-section of the German books
Well, he* DID have some odd jobs:
odd.jpg

:DD
*Bukowski, not Weissner

it was some guy from the Bukowski-Society to fight for that change and wrote 'em the new text they're using now in books and on amazon.
I knew Petey would do something about it. :hmh:

Last edited:
OMG, the "pimp" is gone from the German book-covers? The end of an era ...
also the "gas-stationer" and "dead-body-washer"; as well as being locked into a madhouse.

but I guess, it'll take the German fans 2 more decades to catch up with the facts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back