favorite novel / book (1 Viewer)

i'd have to go with Women. It's the 2nd one I read (after Post Office) but it connected with me more.

It's the most fun. Bukowski is still rough, tough and a bit insane but we get to see him having a good time. The primary focus on drinking and girls probably doesn't hurt. It also plays on my fascination with people who reflect and clearly recognize "This is a bad idea," then do it anyway.

When I first read it I felt some sort of conflict over enjoying the book so much yet not feeling like the narrator is anyone I'd model myself after or necessarily even want to hang around.

Dunno, sometimes I think I'm too nice a guy and could use a bit more id. Sometimes not. At this exact moment I gotta get off the work computer and look busy with something.

Tales of Ordinary Madness is incredible. though much like priveleged it hardly depicts are character I would want much to do with, it makes for an enthralling set of scenarios.

The first novelbook I read was South of no North. Still my favourite novel is Pittsburgh Phil & com. It appealed to me and I practicly crawled on the floor of the bus Laughing. Trying not to show myself. In sweden you don`t laugh by yourself in public places unless youre a bit unsaine. Bukowski is really the master of showing his feelings about lifes injustes by letting us read between the lines.

Funny that you mention Pittsburg Phil & Co. It's also one of my favourites from South of No North. Another one is Christ On Roller Skates. There's so many good short stories in that book, it's hard for me to pick A favourite.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is tough. it varies, really.

sometimes i get women troubles, then Women is my favorite.
other times I get sick of life, and Post Office is my favorite.

it bounces around a lot. lately I've been living in pure fantasy, so Pulp is my favorite. lots of people around these parts will tell you that it's his worst. they may be right. i just like it because its unlike any other thing he ever wrote.

Without question Women.
I laughed out loud before the first page with Hanks "many a good man has been put under the bridge by a woman" quote.
Then i pissed myself when he tells Lydia of her 'tragedy'.

The first novelbook I read was South of no North. Still my favourite novel is Pittsburgh Phil & com. It appealed to me and I practicly crawled on the floor of the bus Laughing. Trying not to show myself. In sweden you don`t laugh by yourself in public places unless youre a bit unsaine. Bukowski is really the master of showing his feelings about lifes injustes by letting us read between the lines.

Gotta love Hank's first pick in Pittsburgh Phil: "Bold Latrine." ;)

all this mentioning of buk's books! right after I post this I'm opening the first one i lay eyes on on my book shelf. I've yet to read a lot of his work. I have read a good amount. I love his short stories. but i've got to go with HAM ON RYE hands down.

Go easy on the novels; they pass like sand through your fingers. Mix in the short story and a healthy dose of poems to stretch it all out.

I was lucky. I started with the poems and then found Post Office; then back to the poems. Then Women, and then South of No North. Just save a novel or two for later (perhaps Hollywood and Pulp). Not only will it make more sense, but you'll gain a better understanding of the whole thing and how it ties together.

Y'know, or not. Just my recommendation.

That's awesome. & sound advice! I'm still saving PULP. Almost bought it tonight at the store but decided to pass (again) because it was ECCO & I hope to find an old BSP paperback later...

Ham on Rye was my favorite....followed by Women and very closely after that Post Office. Those are the only ones I've read...look foward to getting to read the others. I have a horrible time finding them....any adivce?

Buk's books

i've finally read them all, and my favorites are Ham on Rye and Post Office. although everything he does is worth a look at eventually, i think these novels are Hank at his best.

for short stories, i'd go for The Most Beautiful Woman in Town or Septuagenarian Stew.

another good bet is Notes of a Dirty Old Man.

The first Book I was "given" was Women, and I have to admit it was one of thee best gifts I was ever given. I guess its true, you never forget your first ;).

I can't really pick a favourite. What I love and hate about Pulp though is that it gave us a little insight into how Buk had almost played safe (which sounds a ridiculous comment to make about someone who was so relentlessly honest) in terms of his novels. Shame he didn't live another few years because I think the sky would have been the limit for him, such would have been his wisdom in old age.
Apologies if that's a bit OTT.

It depends on the occasion. Also, as you get older, and experience life the subjects of interest change. For example, reading the Notes of Dirty Old Man, as the other writing form his early to late forties, strikes with more familiarity and understanding now, as I am approaching that age, then when I was eighteen.

It's funny that Pulp is more popular than Hollywood...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back