First Paris, Now Copenhagen. (1 Viewer)

Bukfan

"The law is wrong; I am right"
There's been three shootings in Copenhagen today within 13 hours. At least two of them were terrorist attacks.

The first shooting took place at a free speech rally at a café in Copenhagen Saturday at 4 pm which was attended by a Swedish art professor, Lars Vilks, who made a drawing of Mohammed as a dog in 2007, 8 years ago (the shooters were probably kids when he made the drawing). The professor was´nt hit, but one civilian was killed and 3 policemen wounded (one in the shoulder, one in the leg and one in the groin). The French ambassador was also present at the rally. The police have found the gettaway car. About 40 shots were fired by automatic weapons. The police have released a photo of one the two shooters. You see him walking with most of his head covered and carrying a rifle of sorts. He's described as an Arabic loking man. No arrests have been made so far.

The second shooting took place at 1.15 am Sunday morning in Copenhagen where a person was shot in the head and died and two policemen wounded at the Jewish synagogue where a confirmation party took place. The killer shot and killed a Jewish man who was standing at the door checking out visitors. Two policemen were present as security and both got wounded, but not fatally. They're now looking for the shooter, so the trains don't run because the shooter might be hiding in the underground. The botanical gardens is sealed off and a police helicopter is flying above it looking for the shooter. A nearby park is also getting searched.

The third shooting took place at 5 am Sunday morning where a man started shooting at the police in another part of town. The police returned the fire and killed the man. That's all we know right now.

The audio of first shooting happened to be taped. You can listen to it here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31472745

More about the first shooting inc. videos:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/0...bdo-style-terrorist-attack-hits-europe-video/

I would´nt be surprised if these terrorist attacks were inspired by the Paris massacre.

It's heartbreaking to see individual belief systems (be it religion, patriotism, economics, politics, etc) get so twisted that inhuman acts somehow become justified in some people's minds.

There's some solace in the fact that atrocities, while occurring daily, aren't perpetrated by most of the 7+ billion people on the planet.

Some solace, yes...but not much.

Yes, it really is heartbreaking to see belief systems getting so twisted that you're willing to kill innocent people thinking you're doing a good deed.

The terrorist turned out to be a 22 year old Muslim born in Denmark. He had just gotten out of prison 2 weeks ago after a 2-year sentence for a knife stabbing. He also had ties to Muslim gangs.
After the first shooting, in which he killed one person and wounded three policemen, he drove away in a car and parked it nearby and called a taxi cab. This was picked up on a surveillance camera. The police then got hold of the taxi driver and found out to which address he had driven the terrorist. The terrorist was´nt at the address, but the police waited for him to show up. Meanwhile the terrorist attacked the Jewish synagogue and shot and killed a Jewish man who guarded the entrance together with two policemen who got wounded. Then he returned to his address 5 o´clock in the morning and when the police approached him he started shooting at them. The police returned the fire and killed him.
Now, there's a lot of investigation going on to see if he had accomplices. Several addresses have been raided by the police and four men arrested. There's lots of unanswered questions such as where did he get an automatic rifle from? How come he made two terrorist attacks just 2 weeks after he got out of prison? Was it radicalized Muslims in prison who made him do it? How did he know about the freedom rally in the café since it had´nt been advertised for security reasons? How did he know there would be people present at the Jewish synagogue one o´clock in the night? I guess some of the many questions will be answered as the investigation progresses.
Boy, that was some night in otherwise peaceful Copenhagen! :(

Those belief systems aren't always "religious," either. I seem to recall National Guard "troops" shooting college students protesting a war here in America when I was 10 years old. I have to say that as a young kid the idea that the government might gun me down for being in the wrong place at the wrong time - or having the wrong kinds of ideas - was a lot more frightening than now thinking that a religious zealot might try to blow me up for no reason.

It's sad to hear about events like this, but it seems that the world is what it is. We just get reminded of it at random moments.

mjp - you likely know this, but the May 4, 1970 Kent State massacre is something I've spent a fair bit of time reading about and researching. The absolute truth appears to be a convoluted mess of tangled information, but it wasn't so much as case of the government gunning people down as it was a case of a group of mostly young and inexperienced National Guardsmen thrust into a situation (granted, by the State of Ohio government) that escalated into a tragic series of events. I hold the government culpable more than directly responsible, for what it's worth. And I'm a damn liberal.

And then there's the many cases in which the police shoot and kill innocent people, or just use way too much force than needed to arrest somebody. That goes for their SWAT teams too.

I hold the government culpable more than directly responsible, for what it's worth.
Well, I'm talking more about the general vibe that was floating in the air at the time. Doesn't matter if it was the National Guard, the Chicago police, or the KKK police down south, it was clear that it was youth vs. establishment, and that fight is always going to end the same way. At least in those days. Add to that the constantly looming threat of being drafted and sent to Vietnam when you turned 18, and it was a weird time to be a young man who wasn't necessarily built to toe the line here in America.

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter who's stepping on your neck. Blood is blood. I can only imagine how a ten year old in the middle east feels now. Being attacked in Europe or the U.S. is bad, but I feel for that young generation coming up in the Arabic world. What a shitstorm to be dropped in to. But then it hasn't exactly been rosy for them for a few decades now.

Some days I think that World War 3 has arrived and it doesn't look anything like we anticipated. Who was thinking superpower nations with inter-continental ballistic missiles ? How quaint ! How 20th Century ! All you need is a mix of the old and new. A 7th Century holy book and the internet.

I feel for that young generation coming up in the Arabic world...
I saw a photo that was as disturbing in its own way as any other. After ISIS burned alive that Jordanian pilot, they showed the video footage to a large group of cheering people in the town square of Raqqa, Syria. Someone captured the reaction of a young boy 8-10 yrs old watching the video. He was enthralled. Sort of shocked... and definitely impressed. Imagine that kid and thousands more like him - surrounded by adults he trusts and loves. Parents, aunts and uncles, teachers, mullahs and imams... all telling him that what he just saw was good and that there is more to come. God willing.

I remember seeing the film "Children Of Men" and debating with a friend whether or not random terrorist attacks and martial law could ever really come to the West. That was just a couple years ago.

The other day I was driving and heard some expert/government official/academic/know-it-all on the radio say the phrase ... "ISIS, which none of us saw coming." I screamed back "Nobody except the PBS series Frontline !" A documentary showed these psychos almost 2 years ago holding public executions of non-Sunni "infidels". It was cell phone footage shot in some backwater Syrian village and smuggled out by a reporter with balls. Not an American reporter I'm guessing.

What in the hell can you do ? The U.S., Jordan, and Egypt have the air power to obliterate the landscape of eastern Syria/northwestern Iraq but then what comes next ? The refugee crises in Lebanon, Turkey, and Jordan are already unmanageable. The U.N. was close to running out of funding last year for the World Food Programme.

But back to the original topic: Lone wolf attacks will probably continue at anywhere at any time. The world has plenty of angry young men watching jihadist recruitment videos and looking to get Allah's approval.

Imagine that kid and thousands more like him - surrounded by adults he trusts and loves. Parents, aunts and uncles, teachers, mullahs and imams... all telling him that what he just saw was good and that there is more to come. God willing.
Yeah, that's why I feel for that kid. No one should be that fucked by their environment at that age. But I suppose we all are in one form or another.

It takes a lot to resist conforming even in a place like America or Europe where you aren't necessarily targeted for death for being different (though that still happens to some degree everywhere), so I can only imagine what it takes to break free when you're surrounded by zealots and lunatics. But a lot of them will. History proves that religious - or political or nationalistic - zealotry is eventually self-defeating.

How did he know about the freedom rally in the café since it had´nt been advertised for security reasons? How did he know there would be people present at the Jewish synagogue one o´clock in the night?

Somebody talked. Maybe an employee of the cafe was a sympathizer ? The synagogue is a weird one, though. Have the police discovered anything on that ?

Yes, somebody must have given him that information since only invited guests knew there would be a free speech rally in the café that day. No, the police have´nt found out how come he knew there would be people at the synagogue at one o´clock in the night (they were having a Bar Mitzvah party). I guess all informations died with the terrorist.

It's scary that young Muslims born in the west can be lured into extreme Islamism. I guess the western mentality have´nt rubbed off on them. Many of them see themselves as victims in a racist society, which of course is a great excuse for not accepting any responsibility for their own lives and future. Of course, many of the young extreme Islamists were outsiders before they joined the Islamists, just like the terrorist in Copenhagen who had been to prison twice for violent crimes such as stabbing an innocent passenger in a train. He was also a former gang member and had been arrested numerous times for carrying large knives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back