Gabriel Garcia Marquez (1 Viewer)

Black Swan

Abord the Yorikke!
Just watched
Love in the Time of Cholera. Great film.
Now, I need to read the book
(Spanish: El amor en los tiempos del cólera) is a novel by Nobel Prize winning Colombian author Gabriel García Márquez that was first published in Spanish in 1985with an English translation released in 1988 by Alfred A. Knopf.
The English-language film adaptation was released in 2007.
With Javier Bardem.:)

Yes indeed Gerard, that's the one, but the title was not Sex in the Time of Cholera. ;)

Stone Village Pictures bought the film rights from the author for US$3 million, and Mike Newell was chosen to direct it with Ronald Harwood writing the script. Filming started in Cartagena, Colombia, in September 2006.

The $50 million film, the first major foreign production shot in the scenic, walled city in twenty years, was released on November 16, 2007, by New Line Cinema. On his own initiative, GarcÃa Márquez convinced singer Shakira, who hails from the nearby city of Barranquilla, to provide two songs for the film.

One Hundred Years of Solitude was strongly recommended by a friend of mine and I have to say I found it to be exceedingly dull. That's the book (is there a film?). Wrong forum, I know.

One Hundred Years of Solitude was strongly recommended by a friend of mine and I have to say I found it to be exceedingly dull.

Thank you, thank you, me too,
and I so badly wanted to 'get it' but just couldn't even struggle through 150? + pages...
That was probably a decade ago,
and I know it's a perennial favorite for the
'Best 100 novels' list
so it's on my 'try-again' list, but I'm dreading it :o

Javier Bardem seems to get the parts with lots of sex in them.
He's a very sensual actor. Even in such roles as he had in Mar Adentro or No country for old men, I found him attractive...

In the french film Jusqu'à toi, the character embodied by Mélanie Laurent has read One hundred years of solitude 57 times ! And she falls in love with an american lad she has never seen (the guy's suitcase has actually been sent to her mistakenly) chiefly because she believes he is also fond of that book (she finds it in the suitcase but it actually was offered to the guy -who didn't even know Garcia Marquez- by his best friend). At the end, they meet and though she's a bit deceived he has never read the said book, she chooses to stay with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back