Greta Thunberg

mjp

Your Host
Founding member
Over 5000 posts
I've never heard of her, but then very little that happens outside of the U.S. becomes a topic of discussion here. We, as a country, don't really care about anyone but ourselves. But there are young people here trying to get the same message across (no one here talks about them either, for what it's worth).

I was surprised to learn recently that almost half of Americans live in counties that are directly on an ocean shoreline. But I'm pretty sure that when half of all Americans are living in boats and it's like Waterworld out there, the old white dudes in suits in this country will still be saying that humans play no role in climate change.

I think only the most profoundly stupid among them really believe that, but reducing emissions cuts in to profits, and the first rule of being an old white dude in a suit is don't upset the shareholders.

roni

Over 5000 posts
Here's a video of her first public speech. That was at the "UN Climate Change COP24 Conference" in December last year:

"Our civilization is being sacrificed for the opportunity of a very small number of people to continue making enormous amounts of money. Our biosphere is being sacrificed so that rich people in countries like mine can live in luxury."

"You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes."

"We have not come here to beg world leaders to care. You have ignored us in the past and you will ignore us again. We have run out of excuses and we are running out of time."
(this girl sure takes no prisoners)

(her next groundbreaking speech had been at the "World Economic Forum" in Davos in January this year. Davos everybody!
I may post a link later.)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
Over 1000 posts
Sorry, I know this is sideways, but hopefully you'll find this a little funny. I got hired by a big bank and was told to report to the office at 9am and call Gertha Crumpler to let me in. So I'm sitting there waiting for what I expected would be a rather large white woman with a German accent, probably in her fifties. Nope, a black woman in her fifties who had a son who was a NFL star named Alge (a very old Southern name). One of the most lovely individuals I have ever had the priviledge to meet

roni

Over 5000 posts
Last edited: