hahaha (1 Viewer)

so i logged in just now and saw this at the top of the page:

"Hey goddessmartha, what have you got against us? You tease us by registering for the forum and then you don't make your first post. We feel neglected and frankly, kind of used. So come on, say hello. You know you want to. Make us feel loved."

this is right up there with "don't be an asshole." i'm loving it. and while i actually can't promise to behave (alas...), i am rather interested to be here.

i've been reading bukowski for years. i was in a bookstore when i was like 14 looking for a book of poems, any one, really, and "love is a dog from hell" leapt off the shelf and attacked me. after that i read "women" and after that i was totally hooked.

i'm actually writing a thesis on bukowski now, on four of the novels, and am somewhat shocked i've been allowed to do it at all. i proposed a buk honours thesis during my undergrad at a university in montreal, canada and they laughed me out of the department, so i came down here to long beach where the idea has been much better received.

i can't believe i never stumbled upon this forum before. i found a version of bukowski.net years and years ago, but it certainly wasn't this developed at that time. i've poked around at some of the threads and am looking forward to getting into some good convos about my fave author. even down here, most people still tilt their heads and give me weird looks when i say i'm working on bukowski, so it's nice to find a bunch of people who love and appreciate him like i do.

there. happy? no more teasing. feel the love.

m*

i can't believe i never stumbled upon this forum before. i found a version of bukowski.net years and years ago, but it certainly wasn't this developed at that time. m*

Hi,

Do you mean the Buk-forum around 1999-2000, rebels, serious people, etc?

I think the founder of this site was a British guy who spoke polish as well, I do remember....yellow background-lay-out. Are we talking about the same forum?

Have fun here.

Ponder.

Do you know Locklin? If so, please tell him that we said "Hi."

yes, dr locklin is one of the members of my thesis committee, actually. i feel very lucky to have his guidance and experience. it's so awesome to listen to his stories and get his insight on buk's works. i'll for sure say hello the next time we speak.

Do you mean the Buk-forum around 1999-2000, rebels, serious people, etc?

no idea, actually. the one i'm thinking of is late 90s for sure, and i seem to remember it being an underdeveloped site with a bit of a discussion board or something, but the 90s were a fuzzy time for me, though (blush), so i can't be too sure...

in any case, i'm already panicking about how much time i'll end up spending here. i spent the morning reading through old threads and got re-obsessed all over again (it happens every few days or so...). people seem so into this and knowledgable and i'm looking forward to participating.

m*

smog.net (where a lot of the material on this site used to live) had a crappy forum for a while. Smog had Bukowski stuff on it for almost 10 years, then it all moved over here in 2006.

There have always been plenty of other Bukowski sites, but I don't remember a forum anywhere. I would have been glad to find a forum other than that tribe.net monstrosity or uselessnet (usenet). I wouldn't have started this forum if something else had been available out there. I usually prefer to let someone else do all the heavy lifting. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back