Haruki Murakami (1 Viewer)

I've read; The Elephant Vanishes by him, and recently picked up; Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. The second book isn't as easy to get through as the first one was. I'm actually feeling a little bored with his words. He's a good writer, I just don't find myself too excited will all the stories. Have any of you read him? Offer some insight to him? Like or Dislike?

I also noticed he has a new book out called: After Dark. I might give that a go, but I'm having second thoughts after reading this second book.

Most of the books i've read by Murakami I borrowed from my sister. I've so far read 'A Wild Sheep Chase', 'Sputnik Sweetheart', 'Dance, Dance, Dance' and 'Norwegian Wood'. I think he's brilliant, his books are very escapist and as a reader you get taken on a journey. He mixes well the real and the surreal.

Nothing worse than this fading brilliance.
I read all of Kenzaburo Oe early works and they were up there with the best books I've ever read.
Then I bought his latest book - "Somersault' - unreadable. Spectacularly dull.
Same thing with Brett Easton Ellis and his "Lunar Park'. Not a bad read, but he's expecting a lot from readers trying on the Stephen King crap.
Just like M. Night Shyamalan and his "increasingly crappy movies" (Homer Simpson) and The Simpsons and their increasingly crappy episodes...

Oh dear, I'm ranting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back