Heavy Metal (1 Viewer)

So... after watching the Stones Rock and Roll Circus I've determined that THEY actually started Heavy Metal. Check this link out:

[This video is unavailable.]

Isn't that a studded wrist band? And what about the devil imagery? huh huh? And what's this? Isn't that Tony Iommi from the hippy dippy blues band (then known as Earth), later to become Black Sabbath--playing for Jethro Tull? He must've seen the writing on the wall.

[This video is unavailable.]

So there you have it: not only did the stones start punk (new york dolls) they also started heavy metal.

Feel free to discuss.

The Rolling Stones started something? That would be news to me. They always struck me more as followers than leaders. Like every other British band since the beginning of time (rock and roll time, anyway).

The Beatles are the only British band I can think of who ever did anything original, and for that they will always be an honorary American band. We welcome them here, and even let them live here when they want to escape England. Occasionally we kill one of them, but that's a risk you run being an American. Even an honorary one.

yeah. while I like the Stones (pre 1980, give or take), they didn't start anything.

hey, Billville! aren't you dead horsing this one a little bit? ;)

For what its worth...I don't give the Stones, or the New York Dolls credit for starting punk....

I believe it went like this, in this order....

VELVET UNDERGROUND
The Stooges
New York Dolls
The Ramones....The rest is history....but maybe I've just read too much of Legs Mcneil's stuff....

yeah. while I like the Stones (pre 1980, give or take), they didn't start anything.

hey, Billville! aren't you dead horsing this one a little bit? ;)

okay, you got me. it's just that I've been drinking a bit and throwing thoughts around and I wanted to see where this would go. As usual, mjp's response was the best so he's the winner. The thread is official dead! whoo hooo lets see what next week brings!

P.S Where's homeless mind when you need him?

pfffft. everybody knows this was the first punk:

stegosaurus.jpg

You're all wrong! It was Doris Day who started it all...before she became a virgin.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol2.gif
hoochmonkey9.

The Rolling Stones started something?
I'm reading a book (Rock & religion, Dieu(x) et la musique du diable, from Fabien Hein (Rock & religion, God(s) and the devil's music) ) where Mick Jagger is depicted as the first satanic rock divinity. Rien que ça !

heavy metal

albumcovers-ironmaiden-killers19811.jpg

UP THE IRONS ! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !

Blue Cheer, Sabbath, MC5, and the songs "third stone from the sun" and "dazed and confused"....put it all in a wood-chipper, mix with various energizing substances, feed to the proper teenager (in 1972) and you get real heavy metal. The rest is history.

sall about Black Sabbath, they did it. Blue cheer and Steppenwolf got close, but Black Sabbath did it, and their the best ones to do it so far.

Heavy metal is the wrestling of the music world.
Slipnot is Hulk Hogan dressed as a witch at the birthday party of a child with special educational needs.

British bands don't really do anything original?
Be serious.

British bands don't really do anything original?
Be serious.
Sorry - British popular music bands in the past hundred years. Should have been more specific. I'm sure in the middle ages they were on the cutting edge of new sounds. And I love Irish folk songs, but I can never figure out if the Irish are also British. There seem to be differing opinions on the subject.

Hope that clears things up.

wow.
I guess that apart from the Stones, other British bands such as Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, Kaiser Chiefs, Cream, The Who, the Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Queen, The Libertines, Genesis, Yes, The Police, The Stone Roses, Dire Straits, Pulp, King Crimson, Arctic Monkeys, The Kinks, Traffic, Coldplay, David Bowie, Oasis, The Smiths, Blur, New Order, Iron Maiden, T-Rex, Joy Division, Aphex Twin, The Jam, The Clash, The Prodigy, The Verve, The Manic Street Preachers and Radiohead don't do it for you either!

Not even the Spice girls?
Not even Tom Jones???? :)

And, no, U2 being Irish is not that same as British. That's like saying Canadians are Americans because they're close to each other and speak the same language. I lived in both the UK and Ireland.

Most of those bands don't "do anything for me," no. Some did.

But that has nothing to do with originating something. You do realize that was the point, right?

If you think the likes of Oasis or most of the rest of those fops in your list ever did anything original, you're either delusional or uninformed. Yes, of course you can be both, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

---

Plowing this field again is pointless.

I agree with you. How's that?

All of those bands are great and creative innovators and will live on in musical history for countless generations to come. Kids in 2309 will undoubtedly be grooving to The Libertines and The Verve. I can see it now...

Just me. I am the Alpha and Omega, and I have come to rid you of your sins. Love me and you will live forever.

The Pogues were original...

Shane was British. Does that count? The rest of the Pogues may have been Irish, though.

The Smiths were original in their day.

Bands like The Stone Roses and Oasis were not exactly ground breaking as much as they were adaptations of earlier music.

Bill

Wether you like it or not, but Napalm Death were the originators of grindcore. Sure they were influenced by crust bands before them ( or Discharge ), but nobody had ever played that fast and destructive with such an insane barking singer until they came up. They weren't even considered talented by many, but unlistenable, I loved them from the beginning and they changed the standards of extremely heavy music to this day. Oh shit, I want to say AMEN.

...Napalm Death were the originators of grindcore.
And in 20 years no one will know what you are talking about when you say "grindcore." Most people right now don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not talking about fringey ephemeral shit like that anyway. I'm talking about musical styles - blues, jazz, rock, hip hop, country, reggae, etc. - broad classes that had to be created at some point.

"Grindcore" gets filed under "rock." Like it or not. So do the Pogues, and the Smiths, I'm afraid. And rock springs from the blues anyway, so maybe they should all be filed under "blues." ;)

Or maybe it's all just music. Now you can say, "amen."

That makes it very exclusive. Yes, I'm a member of the elitist grindcore church and we don't care if people understand us or not- or if we're remembered.

Oh! So you're punk rock then. I understand now.

I bless you and your grinder boys, now go forth and be fruitful. But don't multiply. Not that there's much danger of that, I would guess...

Aaah, you must have been sleeping or you just ignored the juicy fruity grindcore breed because this style sounds like car accidents to your selective ears. Well, that's not too bad, I didn't know there were the Pokemon in Chile nor what they are listening to and I really don't give a fuck there are thousands of them. And as much as you surely hate it, if you look at how grind emerged from hardcore and hardcore emerged from punk, the roots are in punk rock. I know it's a bitter fact, but you can easily ignore it by saying "Fuck you!".

Wow. Nice to see this thread came back from the dead. The posts even have a little bit of fire to them. That's good. Of course, how could they not when SATAN is influencing your thoughts and we all know who Satan listens to ... The Rolling Stones. (except when he's listening to breakfast with the Beatles on Sunday mornings) but don't let that get out.

....and blues comes from West African vocal music, African American work songs, early spirituals and European harmonic forms. Blues elements were even included in pre-blues music "English composer Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's "A Negro Love Song", from his The African Suite for Piano composed in 1898, contains blue third and seventh notes."

There are new twists, new slants. But there's nothing new under the sun, sweetheart.

Everything comes from something else. Artistic and cultural evolution....

...Unless we're about to sully ourselves with talk of artistic 'creationism'...

Surely not.

And anyway, creationism is a different thread. But I can't imagine that many Buk fans are going to subscribe to that sorry little fairytale.

I don't know if they're original but I do know they're British and also they are the best band of all time and they are the Spice Girls and so what if they're not grindcore they're the best and most anyone with any sense would agree.

When you play Spice Girls records on 666 rpm, they are grindcore plus their satanic messages can be heard in their high pitched voices - believe me.

"Grindcore" gets filed under "rock." Like it or not. So do the Pogues, and the Smiths, I'm afraid. And rock springs from the blues anyway, so maybe they should all be filed under "blues." ;)
Carcass do sound a little bit like the pogues :confused:

I'm reading a book (Rock & religion, Dieu(x) et la musique du diable, from Fabien Hein (Rock & religion, God(s) and the devil's music) ) where Mick Jagger is depicted as the first satanic rock divinity. Rien que ça !

UP THE IRONS ! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !
MAIDEN!!!!!
They are the best

"Two minutes to miiidniiiiiiight!"- That Iron Maiden song ruined one new year's eve party.
That's what you get when you party with old school metalheads. My bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back