Heavy Metal (2 Viewers)

These do look cool, very cool indeed. The bad thing about Converse Chucks is they're so expensive (at least here) and are wrecked too fast. I only buy a pair if I can get them at a low price.

With bouncing soles, boing boing! There were p.c. people in the 80's who told us not to wear Docs because we would support right wing Skinheads, oh I'm not correct, they're called Boneheads, free speech is such a nice thing always, oh wait, it isn't, but anyway we burned our Doc Martens and walked on bare feet to support the people somewhere who can't afford to buy shoes at all.

And never shave your head or you're a fascist and you're not supporting Heavy Metal, remember it's not your choice, they know what's correct, always listen to them.

:eek:

I think Black Sabbath was the first Heavy Metal Band , all riffs of other Heavy Metal guitarplayers are stolen from Toni Iommi , done .

Deep Purple, Zeppelin and Sabbath are typically the top three "contenders" for first heavy metal band, you know, when the argument comes up. I figure Purple and Zeppelin to be too blues based to make the list, so Sabbath gets it in my book. Not that I'd read the book. Other than some early Sabbath, and the Metallica CD done with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, I've got not much use for metal.

I see! Thanks, PS! I like all three bands and have their first 2-3 albums, then my interest in them wore off. Of course, that was before Heavy Metal was invented as a concept. It's funny to see how they're now called the first Heavy Metal bands although I do see the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iommi was the first to make regular use of the "Devil's Third" (a flatted-fifth or augmented fourth interval, for those of you scoring at home), which gave him that distinctive "evil" Black Sabbath sound.

But then dissecting music is like dissecting comedy. It takes all the ignorant joy out of it.

Maybe I wouldn't know metal if it ate my baby, but I would never put Hendrix in the metal box. Probably not Led Zeppelin either. Slow. Ominous. Loud. Hendrix and Led Zeppelin could be those things, but not all the time. And they had a sense of humor that metal utterly lacks.

Eh, it's all RAWK anyway. Maybe the government has done a study that officially classifies them. I'll call Tipper and ask.

Jimi Hendrix taught them how to make their sound. I have to agree he was not the metal that metal has become but they came up with metal trying to play like Hendrix IMO. The Beatles started some of it as well but not much of their stuff.

Hendrix has some Jazz undertones.

Dick Dale, Dick Dale. Invented HM, JH and Punque. Look at the early attempts at the "pogo". Dick fucking Dale. You will have to listen to surf music again and again and again.

Oh yeah, and invented Dick Dale.

And invented the chord structure for The Stooges' Loose and Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water. All in a 1965 day's work.

Dick Dale, Dick Dale. Invented HM, JH and Punque. Look at the early attempts at the "pogo". Dick fucking Dale. You will have to listen to surf music again and again and again.

Oh yeah, and ... invented Dick Dale.

And ... invented the chord structure for The Stooges' Loose and Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water. All in a 1965 day's work.

I change my vote-Link Way all the way, he invented metal and garage rock.

Digney, Thanks for the Dick Dale link. I have no opinion in this discussion, but man! I have always loved Dick Dale; and that old footage was really great to see. :)CRB

everyone knows that to be a music aficionado, you have to mention someone that no one else has heard of and say that that person started whatever trend is up for discussion.

I didn't know that. Who hadn't you heard of?

I picked up a program off the floor of the bus from the freebie VSO outdoor concert this last evening. Haven't heard of Massenet or Lalo (Massenet is a bit familiar though) so what trend should I say they started? And should I provide a link?

The program says they opened with Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries and ended with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. But all that's too easy. They invented outdoor freebie symphony concerts.

I just watched a doc titled " Metal: A Headbanger's journey", by a Canadian named Samuel Dunn.

He travelled to Norway, Germany, attends concerts and interviews members of several metal bands. He had been a metal lover since the age 12, and now as an anthropologist he is looking at why metal became so important in the 80's and who was the very first band.
Who and what and where.

You can watch it on you tube
http://video.google.com/videosearch...sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4#

Well, I only know St. Vitus and they're a good doom band, but I'm more into the slow stuff by the Melvins, Acid King and very early Paradise Lost.

No one has mentioned the awful "G.G. Allin", not sure where he would fit in this spat...surely not an original, but if we can utter the names of Halford and Zeppelin, then why the hell not?

(ducks head to avoid flying object)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back