Heavy Smoker? (1 Viewer)

I'm curious to know a bit more about Bukowski and his smoking habit.

When did he start smoking?
Did he smoke regularly?

I don't think he was a 60 a day man
but was he relatively heavy smoker?

I know Vonnegut has smoked most of his life
and thus far remains ALIVE and well....

Any ideas? :)

i've no idea about his smoking
other than the fact that every interview/film
i've seen of him, he's puffing away
on what looks like...a biddie(sp?)

btw
smoking sucks
no matter WHO'S doing it
(unless it's weed)

I recently read some funny rant of Vonnegut about suing the tobacco companies for their product NOT killing at this point, how he had no intention of being alive this long in a world where the most powerful people were named Colon, Dick and Bush.
Cant help with the Buk smoking thing, but I know last time I saw Vonnegut he had a pack of Pall Malls in his pocket.

Olaf, I know that BUK smoked cigarettes starting in High School (I think I got that from Ham on Rye) and continued that habit with the occasional cigar until he started dated Linda B. in the late seventies. After they started dating, Linda B. helped get him interested in smoking beedies, which are a hand made Indian cigarette that are suppose to be 'better' for you has far as cigarettes go due to their all 'natural' ingredients. He smoked those for the rest of his life.

Linda B. helped get him interested in smoking beedies, which are a hand made Indian cigarette that are suppose to be 'better' for you has far as cigarettes go due to their all 'natural' ingredients. He smoked those for the rest of his life.

nothing to brag about but i smoked beedies for a time. i used to purchase them from the asian off-license man downstairs, but then they started fucking with my gums. funny, around the time, i was into some older woman, and two weeks into her, i went to a family party for her aunt's 70th (the ridiculous things we do!), and i was at the bar and lit one of those beedies up, and the aunt must have been in the vicinity because she started screaming, "who's smoking drugs!" anyhow i had to do some quick explaining or i wld have been lynched!

cloves have the nice aroma
but can be quite harsh on the lungs over time
i know a long time user who complains of chest discomfort
yeah, they're a sweet smoke
but weed is better

Maybe it's just me but when I get even a whiff of a clove cigarette it feels like my lungs are going to close up and I'm going to suffocate. I once sat in the smoking section (remember those?) on a 20-hour flight from Bali to L.A. and several people were smoking them. I thought I was gonna die.

this reminds me of his comment that if it was a job we were paid to do
we would hate making love, or something...not to worry, the control freaks
are too too thick to end smoking by making it a job we are paid to do...w

hey says he's anit-drug in the bukowski tapes but throughout his life he did them whenever they were offered to him.

contradictory, eh? i think in the tapes he was expressing more his reaction to the hippies...he didn't like, as he saw it, what the dope had done to them...i don't know; he wasn't over-enthusiastic about street drugs... maybe he was talking about over-indulgence in that area. bill hicks was funny and true when he rapped about "our" duplicity over drugs...

Bukowski hated marijuana.
and he wrote about smoking it(PoT),several times(esp. in woman and some poems)

But i know what you mean:
"im all for alcohol,its the thing"from the bukTapes.
You should also read the books.

do not frame hank on only one statement..
Most of the time ,he didnt know who he was anyhow, just like the rest of us.

He is honest and doesnt restrict himself(well,mostly),thats why i like him.

ive smoked my share of weed and yet for the most part i hate it... i think if the man said he hated the stuff it is safe to say he really did... im not a huge fan of a lot of things i do...

After they started dating, Linda B. helped get him interested in smoking beedies, which are a hand made Indian cigarette that are suppose to be 'better' for you has far as cigarettes go due to their all 'natural' ingredients. He smoked those for the rest of his life.

I tried beedies (Buk influence). Not available in the Netherlands anymore because the "beedies company" refused to add ingredients details on the packs.

Beedies have a good strong taste but you need 7 lighters a week... And yes, some people think... they smell.....drugs...

A good substitute is American spirit tobacco. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_American_Spirit

Smoke them with rice paper....(rizla blue)
http://www.rizla.co.uk/

If American spirit is too dry, try Drum tobacco.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_(tobacco)

Since I roll my ciggies with rice paper I'm down to 10 per day average.

After they started dating, Linda B. helped get him interested in smoking beedies, which are a hand made Indian cigarette that are suppose to be 'better' for you has far as cigarettes go due to their all 'natural' ingredients. He smoked those for the rest of his life.
I tried beedies (Buk influence). Not available in the Netherlands anymore because the "beedies company" refused to add ingredients details on the packs.

Beedies have a good strong taste but you need 7 lighters a week... And yes, some people think... they smell.....drugs...

A good substitute is American spirit tobacco. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_American_Spirit

Smoke them with rice paper....(rizla blue)
http://www.rizla.co.uk/

If American spirit is too dry, try Drum tobacco.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_(tobacco)

Since I roll my ciggies with rice paper I'm down to 10 per day average.[/QUOTE]

I had a friend who use to smoke Lipton tea rolled up in a zig zag. He swore it got him high. I never had the guts as I felt it would make me look like an idiot -- anybody else tried the stuff? Get this out and watch Lipton tea sales go through the roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back