Hello from the publisher of Beat Scene (1 Viewer)

Hi everbody, I'm new to this site. First post for me. I put together BEAT SCENE magazine in England. For years from the 1970s, when I first found him, we promoted Hank and he appears in most of our 57 issues so far. A few times on the cover and a couple of interviews. He sent poetry for the magazine and for my other little magazine TRANSIT for a few years. In recent times we've published two chapbooks in our BEAT SCENE PRESS POCKET BOOKS series. No 12 was REXROTH, BUKOWSKI AND THE POLITICS OF LITERATURE by Ben Pleasants. One of 125 numbered and signed copies. The other was CHARLES BUKOWSKI: LETTERS TO BEAT SCENE. Again, 125 numbered copies. If anyone is interested get in touch.
I don't know why I haven't visited this site before. Its like a Bukowski black hole, once inside you get sucked in. Buk fans dream. Regards to you all.

welcome Mr. Snoz! i have a couple of Transits in my collection. very cool little magazine you put out there.

yep, a bukowski black hole indeed...

Cheers Bill. Yes. How you doing?

Hi Kevin;
Great and you?

You may want to put some packages together so that people can save on shipping an pick up some of your great stuff.

I would think that there would be a bunch of people interested in the Bukowski letters and the Fante book (arizona) at minimum. Do you still have Marble Man? What about Husk?

Best,
Bill

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Snoz. I like the name... family used to be associated with a lawyer named Snozner. We didn't like him and we always made fun of him. But I like you thus far. Cool thing you've got going there with the magazine(s). Kudos :D

Welcome to the forum, Snoz!
I've got some Transit's, some Beat Scene's and a copy of The Beat Journal Vol. 1. All of them great publications!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, not a bad idea. May do that. Watch out on a well known auction site. Or could that kind of thing be done here?
Cheers Lolita, my favourite football team had a manager & his nickname was The Snoz, so it was good enough for him and I've probably got a big nose!
Cheers Gerard, Hootchmonkey, Ponder, Marina, Homeless, Buk fan. Nice of you all.
Blimey that interview brought back memories. I often wish I had replied to Hank sooner sometimes. I always thought I'd better not bother him too much, he liked his privacy didn't he. But years later I realised he saw letter writing as a kind of therapy. Just imagine if he'd been around in the age of email. Think he would have got into it?

Blimey that interview brought back memories.

if he'd been around in the age of email. Think he would have got into it?
Yes, but hopefully not MySpace.
Welcome to the Soup, Snoz.
sign0201.gif

My thought was to put together a full run of Transit, for example at one price. Or a set of the Fante book, Bukowski letters and the Pleasants for one price. It will save them on postage and will get these books into the right hands.

Be warned, though. Ben Pleasants is not the most beloved writer on this forum.

I for one, would love to buy a full run of Transit.

Bill

Yeah, welcome Snoz. Great to see some old small pressers popping up here. I have a few issues of Transit myself, courtesy of Ponder. Great mag. And as others have said, you're gonna like it here. Fun place, great people.

[...] Ben Pleasants is not the most beloved writer on this forum.

hmm, maybe not "the MOST beloved", but he comes shortly after R. Creely, Th. Mann and Faulkner.
Well, W. H. Shakespeare might be in line before him, but that about covers it.

[what's the smiley for "end-of-stupid-joke"?]

My thought was to put together a full run of Transit, for example at one price. Or a set of the Fante book, Bukowski letters and the Pleasants for one price. It will save them on postage and will get these books into the right hands.

Be warned, though. Ben Pleasants is not the most beloved writer on this forum.

I for one, would love to buy a full run of Transit.
Snoz,
I would like that too, a full run of Transits.
Bill,
I have read a lot of Ben Pleasant's articles and I think that he is an excellent writer. I agree that some of his articles are somewhat shocking but his style is outstanding. I believed that in spite of all the contraversy born around some of his statements, he has a sincere and full appreciation of Bukowski ,Richmond and Fante as writers. Anyone read his article of "the moonbathers" by Richard Miles, was it an introduction? Anyway, very exciting.

Now shoot me, I can take it.:D

What? You were wrong, Black Swan? I just liked your post about Ben Pleasants, then saw it was from 2008. Do I really have to read the entire thread before I react to anything? I guess so. Well, I still like your attitude, especially "Now shoot me, I can take it."

Well, I think that he ended up manipulating Richmond, a really fragile man by then, in a 3 AM interview. He was pulling the answers he wanted to hear out of his ass. That made Richmond appear as if he despised Bukowski and that is not true. Even the photo that he used for the article was grotesque. And he claims that he was his friend?
I still think that Pleasant is a great writer. I truly enjoy Pleasant's essays http://dogmatika.com/dm/features_more.php?id=3161_0_5_31_M
The admiration he had for Bukowski, Fante and Richmond is real but the LA sensationalism is unnecessary at times.
I will have to reread the interviews, it has been a while.
I have been wrong so many times that I'd need nine lives to get it straight.

"No one listened but Bukowski. They wrote to each other like lovers. Like father and son. There are more than 150 letters between Richmond and Bukowski, mostly written in the mid 1960s. You'll never read them. They've been censored out of existence by Bukowski Inc. The Richmond/Bukowski letters are bad for business."
So where are the letters now? Weren't some of the letters included in compilations or does my memory deceive me?

a full run of Transit

No, no full run but a Transit issue for free.
PM me your name and address.

For Prospects only.
Transit 15: Tom Clark, Neeli Cherkovski, Dan Fante, Charles Plymell, Gary Snyder & others.

For Redwood Originals and Men of Mayhem only.
Transit 11: Joanne Kyger, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Michael McClure & others.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back