Hiya. (1 Viewer)

Hi, I'm Kelly. I'm 23. I live in Texas. I just read Tales of Ordinary Madness and loved it. I would buy more, but I'm broke right now, so....I've been depending on these manuscripts to keep me going. Also, I just finished my first book (maybe 20 minutes ago). And I don't want any money. So, yeah. Here I am.

Hi kelly :)

apparently the punch is spiked round here... but i'm still waiting for someone to offer me a drink...

;)

What A Concept

Hi, I'm Kelly. I'm 23. I live in Texas. I just read Tales of Ordinary Madness and loved it. I would buy more, but I'm broke right now, so....I've been depending on these manuscripts to keep me going. Also, I just finished my first book (maybe 20 minutes ago). And I don't want any money. So, yeah. Here I am.

It's just a thought, and yes, sometimes money is tight, but there may be some unsuspected resources available. I live in a small town of 15,000 citizens and a small library, yes, but it's connected with a number of other community libraries. All together this network has 15 volumes of Bukowski poems and novels (mostly from Black Sparrow) and 8 volumes of works by John Fante available for dispersal. That's 23 volumes right there. I was amazed when I found this out... Unless one is living completely in the dark, there may be a cornucopia of great books at one's disposal in similar fashion... for free. And if the book is off the "hold" list, one could keep it for as long as six weeks or more... For one reason or another, one can't always buy every frickin' book that one desires, and yet I'd be hard pressed to remember the last time someone here talked about checking into their library system for works by Bukowski. (Maybe I just missed it.)... I can also tap into the database from my home computer and put holds on books from here... So it doesn't get any better than this if one is short on dollars. I had to give up my copy of Fante's Dreams From Bunker Hill many years ago, but lo and behold, I just checked the database and there it is just about any time I want it... All one needs in order to get a card is a mailing address and a driver's license. I got tired of owning books anyway, even some of my favorites, and money is rarely an object now if I want to read something new. If the library doesn't have the title one wants, then of course that's a different matter. In the meantime, there could be 10 or more Bukowski titles sitting on a shelf somewhere that one could dig into until the right title finally comes along. The internet be damned, because the day the hard-copy libraries in America can no longer survive, is the last nail in the coffin for this country... squandered minds, squandered nation. I don't like reading on-line books as a rule because they are too hard on the eyes. But library resources...yeah, baby. There are also over *4,000* compact discs available here for free, and I've built a substantial library of classic music and jazz albums over the years, and it didn't cost me a cent. Why do people think Bukowski spent so much time in libraries! They were free and they were quiet, secular havens of learning. He wouldn't have made it without them. End of speech. "”Poptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
The internet be damned, because the day the hard-copy libraries in America can no longer survive, is the last nail in the coffin for this country... squandered minds, squandered nation. I don't like reading on-line books as a rule because they are too hard on the eyes. But library resources...yeah, baby. There are also over *4,000* compact discs available here for free, and I've built a substantial library of classic music and jazz albums over the years, and it didn't cost me a cent. Why do people think Bukowski spent so much time in libraries! They were free and they were quiet, secular havens of learning. He wouldn't have made it without them. End of speech. "”Poptop.

Amen Brother!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I went to my local library today...they only have three books of poetry by Bukowski.
This is what I get for living in the suburbs, isn't it?

You probably wouldn't have much better luck in a big city. Bukowski's books seem to disappear from libraries. I think three is pretty good. More than they had in the San Pedro library last time I was there. Your library can probably get others for you from other libraries in their network.

Yeah, the library here in k-zoo used to have two, "run with the hunted" and "bone palace ballet" now theres only one. some light fingered bastard has a buk book with a pocket inside of the cover.....:mad:

try charity/thrift (whatever you call it in the US?) shops too, I found 'Ham and Rye' in one and the money went to a cat shelter, which I'm sure Buk would've approved of. :o

Actually, if I lived just half a mile west/ two miles or so south of where I live, I would qualify for a Dallas Public Library card, and after looking through their catalogue...I'm really jealous :(

One of my best friend works at Half Price (a used book store) and I've put her on alert. She has Ham on Rye, and I can probably convince her to give it to me :) but I won't.

I doubt I'll be able to find anything in thrift shops. It's unfortunate how much total crap people around here read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back