Horsebucket? (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Carol doesn't like to toot her own horn, as the kids say, but she's got a new book available, Horsebucket.

It's illustrations taken from her notebook. Weird, half asleep stuff, and she's typed captions for them. When I say "typed" I mean she's actually run each printed page of each book through a manual typewriter to type the captions and the colophon. It's a 50 copy limitation, signed and numbered, the cover is letterpressed, and the binding is hand stitched.

Her other artist's books are in the permanent collections of The Getty Museum, The Brooklyn Museum, Bibliothéque Kandinsky at the Centre Pompidou in Paris, Otis College of Art & Design, National Museum of Women in the Arts, and UCLA.

I think it's great and funny and a joy to behold. But you should look for yourself, because I may be biased. There is still one day left on the pre-sale, I think, but I know the price goes up soon. Her more affordable books have sold out fast, so if you likey, it would behoove you to make a move and snatch one up now.

horsebucket.jpg
CarolTyping337x262.jpg

Last edited:
The label on the blue band is very old - from the late 1800's. You can't really see it, but it's birds. We found those years ago but didn't use them until now. We have a stack of another one that shows some awesome ostriches, but she didn't want to use that. Go figure. ;)

Thanks you guys, she's in her studio right now, sewing, sewing, sewing to finish up the books. It's madness I tell you, madness!

In mourning?

Well, I just walked into her studio and saw a dozen shipping boxes all taped up and ready to go, so I think it's safe to say the books are about to begin winging their way to everyone who got in on the presale deal. Cool, and thanks from Carol and her hungry dog Buddy.

Yes, this house we're in is from 1920, that practically qualifies for historic preservation here. Well, maybe if it was a court apartment...and about 7 miles due West...

I know, I know - you have manhole covers older than the city of Los Angeles in Boston.

As far as that kind of color printing though, it is pretty old. Printing technology was still pretty primitive 110 years ago. So, old in relation to the technology, yeah.

they are beautiful.

this forum, more than any other, is the one that always makes me wish i had more money.

As far as that kind of color printing though, it is pretty old. Printing technology was still pretty primitive 110 years ago. So, old in relation to the technology, yeah.

Most definitely. My wife loves old stuff like that, and is as much of a binding-sniffer as I am, so I'm hoping she'll (*cough* I'll) really dig this.

I hear ya. I just bought a couple things before I saw the book:

897342651_d192040858.jpg

$$$ tight, yo.

but Horsebucket is a great looking project, and if I had seen it before I bought the above things, well..I would've bought it instead.

Those are cool, hooch. And, mjp, if I weren't so damned cheap I would buy that book for sure. Maybe I will have some sort of Scrooge visitation this Christmas to change all of myself around and then purchase it like a prize turkey (or was it a goose?).

mjp, if I weren't so damned cheap I would buy that book for sure.
Not trying to convince anyone to buy, just putting the word out, because she was offering a lower price for a couple days, and because her last small run book (60 copies) that was affordable sold out in a few days. She's done a couple books that were elaborate, hand painted things that sold for a good piece of change. This one still has the handmade aspects, but mixed with machine repro, so it's not in that nosebleed price range. ;)

But I'm not pushing these books. I tried to push the Montfort photos, and only a handful of people bit, so I know how it goes. People who are really interested will jump, everyone else can safely ignore. That's fine.

thank you to those of you who bought some of my books. i really don't know what to say. just humbled, nervous, happy, gladful, and amazed. thank you!

i got mine yesterday... it's beautiful! i like the manually typed pages- it makes every page look like a letter.

it's a birthday present for rubyred, actually, so don't tell her anything about it! i told her not to read this thread.

thank you to those of you who bought some of my books. i really don't know what to say. just humbled, nervous, happy, gladful, and amazed. thank you!

Carol,
You started quite the discussion at BKARTS! The latest is one guy referring to people like me as YOKELS (and dumpster divers) for buying and selling used books without being a full time professional book seller. I'm also a yokel publisher as I have not quit my job and cut my teeth at Random House.

Ha!

I hope that etsy works out for you. You bring your talent to the mix, where others are just binding blank books, so you bring something very special to the mix that many over there cannot offer. I have thought about listing some of my stuff there. I think I'll give it a shot.

Best,
Bill

wow; my lucky numbers are 18, 22, 24, 25, 33...if possible to request one of those, it would be the bomb. if not, the one i get will be my new lucky #.

how did u dig it, padre?

how did u dig it, padre?

As it turns out? #16 - which adds up to seven? - 1+6=7(?)
is one of my lucky numbers.

Oh. You mean the book? Carol's BOOK . . .

I'm happy I was able to not let this one slip away.

If you don't have one, and you have the money?
You can afford it.

It also has the faint whiff of
what I imagine dreams must smell like.

I love my copy.

--
Okay,
Father Luke

Dreams Smell Like...

That, my brother, is what it's all about. One can't bottle what's in a book, art or words, but if this is that close, I am even more psyched for my copy.

Thanks for the thoughtful insight.

Pax,

homeless mind

(BTW: My copy of Terror is 16 - that's poetic...)

wow; my lucky numbers are 18, 22, 24, 25, 33...if possible to request one of those, it would be the bomb. if not, the one i get will be my new lucky #.

I can get you #33, but you'll have to wait a week or so when I seal up all the boxes and ship them. I've been on a detour drawing gig this past week, but back to the books tomorrow. :)

Carol,
You started quite the discussion at BKARTS! The latest is one guy referring to people like me as YOKELS (and dumpster divers) for buying and selling used books without being a full time professional book seller. I'm also a yokel publisher as I have not quit my job and cut my teeth at Random House.

Ha!

I hope that etsy works out for you. You bring your talent to the mix, where others are just binding blank books, so you bring something very special to the mix that many over there cannot offer. I have thought about listing some of my stuff there. I think I'll give it a shot.

Best,
Bill

what forum is that? i wanna read...

Hi,
It is an email list that has to do with book arts.

http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=BOOK_ARTS-L&H=LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

It is not a bad list. Much better than the folks at letpress, which can range from old school racist conservatives to liberals that let the racists say what they want without calling them out. One guy, for example, posted about how a friend of his shoots at hispanics in his US border town for fun. Instead of calling the cops on this guy, he mentioned it in a way that made it look like he understood the frustration that led him to attempted murder of desperate, poor people struggling for a better life in a country that hates them.

I called him out in a strong way, but the rest of the 1200 members sat o their hands. This was after being called a pinko commie who went to Canada to avoid the Viet Nam draft. It just goes to show you the mindset of these people. If you do not agree that the Iraq invasion was a swell idea, then you are a pinko commie draft dodger. I thought that it was funny as I was 3 when the Viet Nam war ended. Plus, only seriously old, out of touch people still use the term "pinko commie". He also called me lily livered for not loving war. The best part is that I had to look up the term on Websters.com as I am too young to talk like an old man.

Best wishes,
sincerely,
your humble and obedient servant,
Bill

The "Anti-War" card set started out as a call for contributions on the LETPRES list, and it quickly devolved into a bitch fest with myself and the organizer of the set speaking against dozens of those fossils who were beside themselves with rage that we would have the nerve to doubt the fine president and his fine war. That was back in 2002. I'm sure they haven't changed their minds. Their minds are too atrophied to change.

I always imagine them wearing those blousy old shirts with the sleeve guard/suspenders, green celluloid visors or straw hats, and handlebar moustaches - like a barbershop quartet - wandering around the grocery store with pica rulers sticking out of their pockets, shouting about the outrageous prices.

It is an email list that has to do with book arts.

http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=BOOK_ARTS-L&H=LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

It is not a bad list. Much better than the folks at letpress, which can range from old school racist conservatives to liberals that let the racists say what they want without calling them out. One guy, for example, posted about how a friend of his shoots at hispanics in his US border town for fun. ...

Shit! I'm glad I didn't post anything on that list, even though I do sometimes shoot at the Chinese. Those dang Chinese, inventing their fireworks and building our railroads! How dare they! They don't belong here among us cowboys and mountain men! ...Us Brokeback Mountain cowboy men.

Shit! I'm glad I didn't post anything on that list, even though I do sometimes shoot at the Chinese. Those dang Chinese, inventing their fireworks and building our railroads! How dare they! They don't belong here among us cowboys and mountain men! ...Us Brokeback Mountain cowboy men.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they hate gays too. I know that they seem to have issues with anyone that is not white, American, conservative, Christian.

They also seem to have a serious disdain for people like me who dare to print letterpress without having learned it from a master printer in the 1940's. To them "newbies" with our deep impression printing are no better than those people coming over the border to get our marvelous free healthcare. You would think that they would be happy to see a new generation fall in love with printing, but they see it as an insult that we would dare think that we have any talent.

Bill

I just saw the German language version of Horsebucket, and I while I don't speak German, many of the words looked funny, which only added to the innate humor. Apparently there will be two copies done in German, three in Spanish. The things I learn when I venture into her studio...

Yeah, a friend of hers spent some time translating it. She wanted to make sure the intention behind the words carried through. It's interesting that it took so long to do such a small bit of text. It makes you (me) wonder about literary translations - how many original intentions are lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back