How about some advice from the pros? (2 Viewers)

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some Christmas shopping and I'd like to buy my girlfriend her first Bukowski book. I've turned a few people on to Buk by just randomly handing out whatever books I've had lying around at the moment. However in this case, I'd like to get her something more with poetry rather than the short stories. I know you all have your favorites and I'd just like to get some perspective from the Buk.net gang.

I'd appreciate it very much, thanks.

Shane

9780061457203.jpg

My first Buk was the novel Ham on Rye. My first Buk of poetry was Love is a Dog From Hell and my first Buk of short stories was South of No North. In that order -- if that helps. Turned me into a very loyal fan.

Burning in Water... is an excellent choice, as it covers a long period of time and it provides a nice cross-section of stylistic changes from the earlier, somewhat more surreal style, into the foreshadowings of his more quick-hitting style of the 1980s and 90s. If you think a mid-period book is more to her liking, then Dangling in the Tournefortia is excellent. For a later work, The Last Night of the Earth Poems has a lot of great material.

Right! Burning.., Dangling.. and Last Night.. are all very good choices. I would choose one of them.

and don't forget to write some warm, personal words to her inside the book.

A gift shouldn't look like it came straight out of the shop - it should relate to the donee.

A handwritten inscription will do.
In addition, you could lay a selfmade bookmark in it. Maybe with a quote from one of the poems in the book, or something.

The Roominghouse Madrigals. It forever corrupted me with white light.

That's among my favorites, but as an intro, it might be a bit too, you know, something...but a wonderful collection indeed.

One favor, MadBull?

Just curious how she takes to him.
Come back with her reaction one day?

Happy Holidays.

Ditto; I think we all would like to know how a "new recruit" responds to The Word According to Buk. ;)

One favor, MadBull?

Just curious how she takes to him.
Come back with her reaction one day?

Happy Holidays.

I certainly will, Father Luke! Hopefully she'll take to him as we all have and become more of a viable member of Buk.net than I. I came here full of billions of mundane questions about Bukowski and quickly came to realize that this was the real deal and my questions had been asked countless times. So now I basically lurk and absorb. You're all wonderful people and I appreciate the advice. Thanks so much.

Well, you know, we tend to be a bit sensitive about folks who stroll on in here and just start asking questions with no background on how they feel about Buk and his writing. Certainly there are many answers to be found if you just look around here instead of asking, but you've been here for a while, and have shown a genuine interest and a genteel attitude, so if you can't find it, feel free to ask.

There are certainly more knowledgeable people here than I, but we all bring something to the table at some time or another.

I'm not trying to be funny when I say you should rethink your idea, most ladies do not dig Buk. Sure, we have some fine ladies here but look at the percentage here and I know for a fact some ladies despise Buk. I wouldn't chance it.

Maybe someone should publish "Bukowski: Softcore For the Ladies." Or buy the XXX if she has visible tattoos, smokes crack, or works in a cathouse.

I'm not trying to be funny when I say you should rethink your idea, most ladies do not dig Buk. Sure, we have some fine ladies here but look at the percentage here and I know for a fact some ladies despise Buk. I wouldn't chance it.

The thought had crossed my mind, Slimedog. But I purchased it the day it was suggested by the majority and it's already wrapped and waiting. Here's hoping. And I also took the advice and wrote a little intro trying to explain a little about what I've learned here from some of the women posters and some of the problems with Buks perceived misogyny. I've also personalized some Youtube video of Buk reading and may loan her my copies of The Bukowski tapes so she can realize how loved and respected he was by the women in his life.

Sorry if that last paragraph doesn't make all that much sense. I found a small stash of vicodin I'd had forgotten and washed them down with some Smithwick's. I have a feeling that she'll become a fan. Possibly not as rabid as the rest, but I'm sure she'll appreciate him all the same.

Again, thanks so much to everyone for their suggestions.

Bumping this thread because I appreciated the replies so much and the good Padre asked me to. Gave the girlfriend Burning in Water for x-mas and it was a huge hit! Such a hit that she devoured it before New Years and has now taken to robbing my stash. I had a copy of What Matters Most handy and she promptly swiped that and I'm going to pick up a copy of Post Office for her. I'm super stoked she is enjoying Buk and hopefully it'll have an effect on her 'poetry' or should I say huge blocks of pretention. (poor soul) And Roni, a special thank you for your suggestion about the personal words I wrote for her inside the book. I think she was more pleased with that than the actual book. So thanks to all who took the time with suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back