how much is wrong with this statement? (1 Viewer)

hoochmonkey9

Art should be its own hammer.
Reaper Crew
Founding member
It stood in the hood, down on Indiana and fourth, past Broadway, past Brooks - an area that scared the lights out of Charles Bukowski, the drunken Polish postie-turned-poet who was afraid to look out of the window when he lived there, for fear of the eyes peering back in at him.

from an article about Dennis Hopper's house by Dan Glaister in The Guardian.

Last edited by a moderator:

Now that he's dead, the Hopper Compound, one of the stranger remnants of his idiotic reign, is on page 15 of the local rag's property listings; the fruit of a dispute between Hopper's estate and his estranged widow. To date, there are no takers. The price has dropped from $6.245m to $5.194m, and the Hopper myth is reduced to a banality that might serve as a motif for the death of celebrity: the knowledge that his house had "dishwasher, dryer, garbage disposal, refrigerator". TS Eliot probably had something to say about it all. Or Charles Bukowski.

Dan Glaister is a name-dropping twat (I lived by Julia Roberts!) with no research skills (Bukowski is a Polish postman and is scared by Venice Beach!) and a chip on his tiny sparrow shoulders (Dennis Hopper hates writers for The Guardian! I will crush him with my mighty prose!).

at least in this article. I'm sure in his other articles he's just a run of the mill twat.

Aside from the writer of that article apparently skimming Hollywood and thinking that Bukowski was Barbet, he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about re: Venice. I don't know when he lived there, but the area where Hopper's house sits is hardly the hood.

25 years ago the area was definitely hood-y around Oakwood, and Brooks almost all the way down to Electric was a mess. But the Venice of today is about a million miles from what it was back then. I went to Hopper's house once - around...1989? - and it wasn't even really a sketchy neighborhood then. But I lived in Venice at the time and maybe I was just used to it. His place stuck out back then because the houses around it were still old for the most part, and even the places that had been fixed up sort of kept with the old Venice Beach style.

You can hardly find the Venice of 20, 25 years ago anymore (not that you'd want to, I suppose). It's been taken over by the wealthy, but then everyone expected that would happen eventually. To describe any part of it now as truly dangerous though is kind of laughable. Comparing it to the parts of town that still are actually dangerous.

Blah blah blah.

And to think you could have had the likes of Dan write your bio for male, pale and old.

(Old forum attachment ID is incorrect, see thumbnails.)

Attachments

• Dumb Fuck.jpg
    Dumb Fuck.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 251

Users who are viewing this thread

Back