hubert selby jr: it/ll be better tomorrow (1 Viewer)

hoochmonkey9

Art should be its own hammer.
Reaper Crew
Founding member
I know there are a few selby fans here, Bill is one I know for sure.

anyone see this film? thoughts? I haven't seen it yet, but I'm a pretty big fan of his work and was wondering if it is worth my time.

I know there are a few selby fans here . . .

sign0100.gif

It looks GREAT. I would say that it is worth seeing.

Also, for anyone that has not Read Selby. He does not use apostrophes, but slashes, instead. It looks odd, but it works.

He/ll, i/ll, etc...

Bill

Last exit to Brooklyn was a big hit in this small country.

Last Exit To Brooklyn was a great movie! I saw it in the late '80es or early '90es. I would like too see it again. I did'nt know it was made from a book of Selby. Maybe I should read one of his books one day...

Last edited by a moderator:
Having lived near the last exit in Brooklyn for a time...

I'd like to see someone have another go at putting it to film again, and really doing it some justice.

Last Exit To Brooklyn was a great movie! I saw it in the late '80es or early '90es. I would like too see it again. I did'nt know it was made from a book of Selby. Maybe I should read one of his books one day...

I've never seen the movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Book of Last Exit to Brooklyn was inspiring to me. The rawness and culture shock value. I was pretty young when I read it and had never realised that you could break all the rules in terms syntax, grammar, spelling etc and it was okay, better than okay in this case.

The movie with Jennifer Jason-Leigh didn't do it justice but i'm not sure a movie could. Even something was brutal and visceral as Irreversible doesn't quite capture the imagination in the same way a powerful book can in my opinion.

This is one reason i'm reluctant to see Factotum and Barfly.

Bogthing, What's the area like these days? still rough? I know Time Square is way different. I'd be interested to know.

The Book of Last Exit to Brooklyn was inspiring to me. The rawness and culture shock value. I was pretty young when I read it and had never realised that you could break all the rules in terms syntax, grammar, spelling etc and it was okay, better than okay in this case.

ditto that.

Wow, I didn't even know this film existed. Thanks hooch!

I read Last Exit to Brooklyn first and was blown away... Requiem for a Dream is still my favorite book so far though. Good movie, but the book is so much better. And so much more tragic. Great read.

The movie with Jennifer Jason-Leigh didn't do it justice but i'm not sure a movie could. Even something was brutal and visceral as Irreversible doesn't quite capture the imagination in the same way a powerful book can in my opinion.

Well Boomer, like Times Square, it's quite different as well. Selby's descriptions in Last Exit wouldn't exactly parallel what I saw, but there certainly is some relevance in the portrayal in "Requiem". The neighborhood that it was shot in is one that I worked in for a while, and it is every bit as bleak and rough as pictured.

Looking for Selby's Brooklyn, would be like looking for Bukowski's Los Angeles I suppose. Yes, there's always some seriously tough spots, but a lot of the faces and names have changed. The waterfront bars and sailors, stevedores etc. that Tralala et al operated around are gone, but it's still a rough area.

Thanks bogthing. I remember hearing about storyville in New Orleans and when i visited there it felt it felt like some mythical, untouchable place (because it was gone)...so i guess in some ways Selby's Brooklyn and yeah for that matter Bukowski's LA are similar.

Thanks for the reply.

hubert selby jr: it/ll be better tomorrow

Just arrived in the mail today.
I'll poast some thots after I've had a chance to watch it.

definitely worth it ,
"We got it all wrong.
Trying to get this , get that, when it should be all about giving."

Very similar conclusion to Bukowski's when Selby says/being an artist doesnt take much, just everything you got . Which means of course, that as the process is giving you life, it is also bringing you closer to death.But it's no big deal.They are one and the same and cannot be avoided or denied.So when I totally embrace this process, this life/death, and abandon myself to it, I transcend all the gibberish and hang out with the gods.
It seems to me that that is worth the price of admission." -Hubert Selby Jr.

Where did Bukowski say something similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back