Huh? (1 Viewer)

Haw! LOL! (Do we still do the lol thing here?)

Everybody hates me. . .

sign0076.gif

wau father luke, you're bringin the LOLz back to buk.net!

C U over @ abe books later... it's working for me :D:cool:

Course now ABE books works fine for me.
Just fine.

Things are never broken after poasting them
publicly, are they. . .

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

it's like the knock in your engine that drives you crazy until it mysteriously disappears when you take it to the shop.

If ABE goes away and people still want or need something like ABE, a new ABE (BABE? McCABE'S?) will come along to take its place. Maybe someone we know will start it, and we'll all get free bookmarks. That's the beauty of the LOLwebs.

If people had any loyalty or really cared about their neighbor's businesses, places like WalMart and Amazon would fail. But people care more about getting the same light bulb for less money. We created Amazon, WalMart, McDonalds and Stephen King.

Well, maybe not us, specifically, but we the people. Everyone around you. More frighteningly known as the voting public. ;)

i must say, only since there is an amazon.de it is affordable to buy english books here.

before that time you always had
- to wait at least 3 weeks to receive these suckers (usually more)
and
- pay useless money for import-taxes and shipping.

Until year 2000 or so, i only had about 2-3 Buk-BOOKS in the original language - and about 10 books as weak XEROX-copies from my university library.

what's so great about abe that amazon is going to fuck up? abe has hurt used bookstores as much as amazon has hurt new bookstores... plus, amazon's fulfillment and customer service is better (at least for books), because you don't have to worry about them drop shipping from random locations and then washing their hands of it when the place sends you the wrong book. amazon marketplace is kind of a mess, but i wasn't worried at all when they bought abe. also, i won't have to pay the foreign transaction fee on my orders anymore.

what's so great about abe that amazon is going to fuck up? abe has hurt used bookstores as much as amazon has hurt new bookstores... plus, amazon's fulfillment and customer service is better (at least for books), because you don't have to worry about them drop shipping from random locations and then washing their hands of it when the place sends you the wrong book. amazon marketplace is kind of a mess, but i wasn't worried at all when they bought abe. also, i won't have to pay the foreign transaction fee on my orders anymore.

For those of us not in a cool place like the Bay area, abe is one of the few areas to get great books. In Dover, the couple mall bookstores carry no Bukowski, no beats, etc. If you go to Rehoboth Beach (45 minutes away), you can find a new bookstore with one or two Bukowski and some beats (especially Ginsberg). There are no cool used bookstores in the whole state. If I was in the Bay area, I would just buy everything from Maser, Abandoned Planet and Serendipity (If I was feeling my oats), but I'm stuck in a place with no culture.

Bill

peter's been giving me killer deals lately... he either likes me or i just keep picking books he wants to get rid of. he sold me sparrow 47-60 for $30 a couple weeks ago. i was ready to pay his price for it, and then he blindsided me with that.

in defense of amazon, though, it's got some pretty tough-to-find stuff too... new books, but just ones that you don't see in bookstores or on abe. i guess i don't understand why there's hostility for amazon, but love for abe. they're two sides of the same coin (that being "one stop online shops that feature competitive pricing below retail"), one just deals primarily with used and the other with new.

I'm jealous of that $30 price tag.

Also... Amazon has a fairly good history of being fairly bad to independent presses and smaller authors. Of course, this is probably true of many larger book stores, but it seems that Amazon is especially bad.

I bought:
Bukowski In Pictures by Howard Sounes
from Amazon.

Got an amazing deal on it, too !

I think we have some pictures around here
somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back