I am watching... (3 Viewers)

This was one of those bands that I really tried to like, but never really could. Seems that I heard them alot. maybe it was just the crowd that I was around. Wanna-be hippies. (on acid)

I was pretty young in the sixties but wasn't there a little genre called "boogie rock" which was taking that riff from John Lee Hooker and just running it into the ground?

And wasn't Canned Heat, and especially with this song, a prime example of what "boogie rock" was at the time?

Also, I think there singer was blind and also overdosed if I'm correct.

You're right about it all, slimedog, except Alan Wilson wasn't blind but he was extremely nearsighted and couldn't see more than 2 feet away without his thick glasses. He died at 27 in 1970. It was either a drug overdose or a suicide. There's some doubt about it, but according to the drummer, Fito De La Parra, it was a suicide.
Canned Heat did indeed use John Lee Hooker's boogie riff to create some "boogie music". They even recorded a double album together with John Lee Hooker called "Hooker 'n' Heat".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooker_'N_Heat

They also played together with John Lee Hooker at several concerts. One of those concerts was recorded and issued as an album called, "Hooker 'n ' Heat - Recorded Live At The Fox Venice Theater". Canned Heat was also backing Hooker in a couple of songs on his "comeback" album, "The Healer".

I have'nt heard the term "Boogie Rock" before. I've always thought of Canned Heat as a Boogie-Blues group, but Boogie Rock might fit the bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has Canned Heat made it to the ballot for the RnR Hall? I see from the induction process they have to get past the "historians" to get voted in. The joke about the Stooges was it took seven (ten?) tries to get them in. Were they on the ballot that many times?

Their regular front man was Bob Hite who did the vocals on most of their songs but Alan Wilson did the vocals on many of their more memorable songs.
Oh, that's got to suck - you're the singer for a band and you let a mumbly soprano do a couple songs and those are the only songs you're known for. Ha. Boogie is a cruel mistress, indeed.

Don't forget that boogie was also a verb back in prehistoric times. As in, "I'm going to the Queen concert and I'm gonna BOOGIE ALL NIGHT!"

The Sarah Silverman Program had a very funny episode this week about LSD and jam bands. "The drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs!"

The joke about the Stooges was it took seven (ten?) tries to get them in. Were they on the ballot that many times?
Last year was the ninth time they were passed over. Now they are in? Like I said, If Ron Asheton wouldn't have died they probably would have passed them over again. It's easier to appreciate idiots like the Stooges when they are no longer alive to puke on your banquet table.

I loved when Sarah Silverman said that when she was being totally high on acid. It was one of the funniest things I've ever heard. ("No man, listen.. The drugs made me realize that it's not about the drugs!") Then she made the audience come back and listen to the band without acid and ruined it for everyone. It made one hippie guy want to go back to law school! Ha! Yes, it was a good episode.

[Elvis Costello thread is here.]

Has Canned Heat made it to the ballot for the RnR Hall? I see from the induction process they have to get past the "historians" to get voted in. The joke about the Stooges was it took seven (ten?) tries to get them in. Were they on the ballot that many times?

I really don't know. I know there's a petition people can sign on the internet for getting Canned Heat and Country Joe into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.
Don't ask me why the creator of the petition has lumped Canned Heat and Country Joe together in the same petition. I find it a bit weird.

Here's the link to the petition. There's 2433 signatures so far:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?cjfish

Don't ask me why the creator of the petition has lumped Canned Heat and Country Joe together in the same petition. I find it a bit weird.

Creator = Wavy Gravy? That might explain the weirdness. Wasn't aware of this petition - Country Joe!? Canned Heat doesn't stand a chance. We're not often kind to the homegrown talent here in the States. The R&R Hall Of Fame is ridiculous anyhow. The biggest exhibit should rightfully be the corporate screw-job suffered by musicians entering the biz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back