I won't be an asshole (1 Viewer)

I'm Rob. I've watched Barfly countless times, and have spent the last 20 or so years quoting lines from the movie with the exaggerated inflection of Mickey Rourke. I watched Factotum with a friend a couple months ago, and went to the book store the next day to get a copy of the book. It was not in stock, so I picked up a book of poems instead. The book I got was "The Night Torn Mad With Footsteps". I devoured that, and went back to the store. I bought "The Roominghouse Madrigals", and ordered "Factotum". I am currently half way through the poems, three quarters of the way through the novel, and I have "Post Office" on deck. That's how I got here.

I am 38 years old, married, and have two daughters. I am a two-bit poet, and a professional arborist.

Hi!

Welcome to the forum, Rob! Great to see that you're really into devouring Buk books. You have your work cut out for you 'cause Buk wrote a lot of books. It's a beautiful journey believe me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Rob! Wellcome. I'm very new here also. Read Bukowski for the first time a few months ago. Now I`m going through all his shortstories. Read the biography and finished it just now. It's so sick. I never knew him and yet it broke my heart reading the end and words on his grave - "don`t try". I`m still (fucking) crying. What`s this man doing to all of us.
Leaving the bleeding feelings aside. I'm from Sweden. Living with a bearded man, two daughters (also), big hunting dog and a forest cat. I'm a teacher in history and religious science. Also working as an artist- oilpainting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob: sounds like you're on your way - good for you. Post Office was my first - after that it's a blur - just kept buying and reading. Check out the letters - many are long prose poems - simply stunning. When you run across music references, go find the work he mentions, have a few drinks and listen to it - it can provide some insight - maybe - does for me. It's like the blues - sometimes you can't tell if they are laughing or crying. Ain't that the truth?

I used to do that Barfly bit myself. I've used lines as come-backs to people in conversations and they never knew what the hell I was doing. Great fun. Welcome to our dysfunctional zoo. You can be the gorilla.

I used to do that Barfly bit myself. I've used lines as come-backs to people in conversations and they never knew what the hell I was doing. Great fun. Welcome to our dysfunctional zoo. You can be the gorilla.

Yeah. I'm getting a little tired of the cage. Let someone else take over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back