Ice Storm! (1 Viewer)

LickTheStar

Sad Flower in the Sand
Well, the Pacific Northwest is now buried under the Every-Five-Year snowfall we get... about three inches where I am, which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the layer of ice that is sure to form after tonight's freezing rain.

My retail job is trying to get me to come in and I've laughed at them two days already since my car definitely can't make it and the public transport is pretty shitty right now... Still, I'll probably attempt to bus it in tomorrow, if only to get out of the damn house after three days. I think I may be going stir crazy... and having a stir-crazy six year old isn't helping...

It's almost enough to make a man move to SoCal.

Almost.

Well, the Pacific Northwest is now buried under the Every-Five-Year snowfall we get... about three inches where I am, which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the layer of ice that is sure to form after tonight's freezing rain.
My retail job is trying to get me to come in and I've laughed at them two days already since my car definitely can't make it and the public transport is pretty shitty right now...
Just stay home... Everyone else will. :wb:

att15350272.jpg

Finally someone talks aout the weather.

They already call Holland the Florida of Europe. It's such a mild winter,
it feels great.

It was really mild until this week here too. Always raining usually, but not this year. There were maybe 2, 3 days of it... but now 3 days in a row of snow, ice, sleet, and rain. My alarm just went off and now I'm headed back to bed because... fuck it. If the city's telling me not to travel due to emergency weather situations, I'm staying home.

Well you guys are feeling the lack of rain more than us. I'm not going to complain about getting a couple of extra days off.

Fill in the blank:
"When I was a kid...."
"It was the Depression and..."
"We didn't even have boots, so we..."

Dolly Parton's mom had already sewed her Coat of Many Colors so we... (I'll fill the blank on this one) "made a bear coat out of Dolly's pubic hair." It wasn't warm enough though, so we filled the rest with Burt Reynolds' pubic hair... Warm at last...

It is absolutely depressing how just three inches can shut the city down for days. Last time, it was closer to 6 to 7, but there was a nice layer of ice every two inches that made it all the worse.

It's almost enough to make me miss Massachusetts. Sure it snowed more, but there were plows.

I experienced one in the early 80s in SE Michigan. We did not have power for a week and had to stay in a hotel, which was great up until I had to go to school and do homework.

When I moved do Denver in '07, I was introduced to "snow days" at work. I usually get a day or day and a half each winter where I get paid to stay home and it does not come out of my sick/vacation time.
Still, I'll probably attempt to bus it in tomorrow, if only to get out of the damn house after three days. I think I may be going stir crazy... and having a stir-crazy six year old isn't helping...
Having a copious amount of hops in the fridge would probably not hurt. Didn't Hank himself once say:
When something bad happens, people drink to forget. When something good happens, people drink to celebrate. When nothing is happening, people drink to make something happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
we had one in toronto over christmas - some people had no power for 9 days.

View attachment 5765
Yeah, I went with the family to Kingston, the Ottawa Valley, Calabogie and those areas over the Christmas holiday and driving around was a mess. At the cottage the first morning there i looked out the window and read the temp. 20 below! On our way home Dec 31 we only made it as far as 2 hrs(?) south of the border and had to hotel it for the night due to the white-out snow. The kids loved it like an adventure so it wasn't all bad. Now here in Philly and the surrounding suburbs we've been getting snow, trees down and cold like crazy. The real problem is it just won't go away. And this Thurs is supposed to be another 6". Weee!

I'm glad I escaped the midwest gulag a few years ago. That area has gotten brutalized this winter. Here, the stuff just doesn't last long - gonna be in the 60s tomorrow through the weekend - unless your yard is north-facing.

But the snowpack in the high country is spooky right now.

I'm glad I escaped the midwest gulag a few years ago.
Hmm, I always considered Denver to be a bumpy extension of the Midwest.

Not the mention the most racist place I've ever been (and yes, I've been to Texas and Arizona).

It was also the first place I saw smog. So a memorable city, for sure.

Hmm, I always considered Denver to be a bumpy extension of the Midwest.

Not the mention the most racist place I've ever been (and yes, I've been to Texas and Arizona).

It was also the first place I saw smog. So a memorable city, for sure.
I've been here seven years and haven't had any issues. Maybe that exists in the air-conditioned nightmare sprawl? A lot of people like to refer thornton, northglenn, littleton, aurora, et al as "Denver". Those are stale areas with a lot of big box stores, chain restaurants, and xenophobia. The only *hate* I've witnessed is directed towards people from Texas and Cali, but it is pretty benign.

It is definitely a transplant town. I don't think I have any *native* friends. But everybody I run with sleeps in their cars at trailheads on the weekends. The *natives* don't seem to do much of this.

There have been some high-profile instances of ultra-violence here though. Guy I work with has been here since the early 70s (from Texas) and said that has always been the case and nobody knows why. Columbine, Aurora theater, shit even Kemper called in his confession back in the early 70s from a pay phone in Pueblo. If somebody told me there was a latent sinisterness, I would not disagree.

Pueblo is a nasty town 90 minutes south, as is Commerce City where I work.

The first time I visited LA, I thought it looked like Flint, MI with palm trees.

@skiroomalum Drivers are brutal here. You gotta play some tough "D" every time you get in the car.

In all fairness, I haven't been back to Denver in almost 30 years, so maybe it was worse last time I was there.

Large sections of Los Angeles are Flint, Michigan with palm trees. Only with better tequila and tamales.

I love those ladies who bring the tamales into the bars in those little coolers at 1am. I may have died long ago if I didn't bring those home for a 3am snack.

Winter in NYC has been unending...but the mass transit has functioned really well for the most part, and we haven't
lost power yet (probably shouldn't have said that).

photo-14a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back