It's August 16th (1 Viewer)

- at least in Germany it is now.

So:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANK ! ! !

78flowers-1.jpg

No L.A. tour for me today. I'm gonna drink a good bottle of red wine tonight.

Cheers to Charles and Linda Bukowski and also to all the friendly members from buknet.

Hey, lets all meet at the corner tavern tonight and have a couple for the old man, we can put it on my tab...... happy b-day Mr. B...............

Ah, it was his birth! Lovely...

I had a hard day on my postal round...so in many respects...I was with bukowski in spirit...vague, distant, literary spirit...

God love him
we all do!

Happy Birthday Hank

Today I thought of you , re-reading Post Office and painting my version of it. I imagined you stepping of the postal truck, in water knee deep or standing in front of your case. I had one for you.
You are in my thoughts

I've never understood this, is it more appropriate to think of someone who has passed on the day they left this earth or the day they were born?

Who got drunk last night and who has a hangover today, except me. And how you're gonna deal with it?
Sipping on bottles of water now...

I've never understood this, is it more appropriate to think of someone who has passed on the day they left this earth or the day they were born?
There's an old thread somewhere on that subject. Personally, I never understood marking the day of someone's death.

You think it's the end, but it's just the beginning...

is it more appropriate to think of someone who has passed on the day they left this earth or the day they were born?

1st:
of course it's up to you!

2nd:
the catholics say for their Jesus: Easter is more important than Christmas, which would equal Death/Ressurection is more important than Birth.

3rd:
though the day of death is no reason to 'celebrate' - it sure is a day to REMEMBER.
And in This sense, I do give attention to BOTH these dates.
I say:
ANY day that was important to the person you honor, could be a reason to, well, if not celebrate, but THINK of this person consciously.
(this could be even more dates. Like the publication of 'Aftermath', The meeting of Jane [which we have no date of] or her death, the birth of Marina, the day he quit at the PO, ... -- Ah! So many!)

mjp:
I dunno if your message about death being not the end etc was just the quote from a song or really ment spiritually. I find both valid ideas.
When I did a 'Bukowski-Night' in my hometown around March 9th, 2004 I wrote on the poster:
"Ten Years Under Ground But Not Dead Yet!"
Sure, he still is ALIVE in a LOT of ways!

August the 16th

Personally, on that evening I admit that I watched The Japanese Viking Challenge in a great bar, we had beer and good food and forgot about Buk. Bukowski is on my mind a lot of time, as well as friends who have passed. What you have learned from knowing them and losing them. I would think a birthday comes to mind first for the simple reason that I like to buy unusual gifts .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back