Just finished Factotum! (1 Viewer)

Loved it!

I read it in small chunks after getting home from work at 3 in the morning. That made it a little more surreal for me.

I can't remember the last book that actually made me laugh out loud.

My favorite line: "Don't tape my balls to my asshole!"

Bwah ha ha!:D

Great book. Big fan here, too.

Lousy movie, IMO. Couldn't get passed Mickey in my head as Sir Charles. While I like Dillon in many movies; this one drew a blank for me. Forced, boring, got the book all wrong. There's Something About Mary, or whatever that movie was, he was fucking brilliant. I also dig that movie title. Funny. Like Brett Favre trying to act, or play for the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets.

What other parts of the book did you dig?

Pax

What other parts of the book did you dig?
I loved the short chapters. Each one was like a long poem, kinda. I also kind of resonate with the whole book, in a way. I've worked a string of blue collar jobs myself. But I never treated them like he did. And I'm certainly not as well-traveled around the country. But it's funny how each job has its own soap-operaish milieu. There's always something going on in the manager's office.

Also, I've never seen the movie. Been curious to, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about it. Starting to think it's more of a rent and not a buy.

Yeah definitely. When I read Factotum I had literally just quit a god awful job in a bike parts warehouse and set off around Europe by rail...so when I got got to the part when Chinaski gets a job in a bike warehouse on I couldn't help but laugh a little inside, but then I kinda felt for the old guys there who still stuck there getting the same old shit from the bosses day in day out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back