L.a. free press nov. 28 - dec. 4 1975: 4 poems (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
  • No Fuck -- In the database, but no info
  • The Good Guy -- Back to the Machinegun, Manuscripts Volume 2, 1975-1977
  • Entertainment -- Back to the Machinegun, Manuscripts Volume 2, 1975-1977
  • All the little girls -- Not in database
Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

I think the "William" in "no fuck" is William Wantling. Bukowski writes in several places about the situation after Wantling died and his wife came to California and he reports a variety of scenarios which ensued between himself and Wantling's wife.
The "William" in "all the little girls" is the poet William Stafford--again based on fact since Bukowski and Stafford gave a poetry reading together, Bukowski did not like Stafford, and Stafford did in fact write Bukowski a letter.
Not sure if that's what he actually did with the letter, however.

Ah, Micheline... :DD

David, I was only wondering who William in "all the little girls" was but thanks for all the info you supplied.

BTW, here's more about Bukowski and Stafford*. An interesting read.
* including their letters to each other

P.S.
Stafford's letter to Bukowski.jpg

Bukowski's letter to Stafford.jpg

Last edited:
I don't envy anyone who had to read with Bukowski. I imagine it's like opening for the Rolling Stones. The Stones audience isn't interested in you, and if you're lucky they'll only throw soft things at you. But you'd be wise to expect a few bottles, and you'd better be ready to duck when they come in (see: Prince). At their most behaved, the Stones audience simply ignores you (see: Peter Tosh, who the Stones fans were probably just confused by, or afraid to throw things at).

It only goes to show what an anomaly Bukowski was, even into the 1970s. The people who showed up at his readings were not typical poetry fans, and they seem to have had no interest in typical poetry. What's funny is there's still no one like that in poetry. There's still no one that you'd see at a reading and think, "Well, there's someone who doesn't exactly fit in. There's someone who doesn't appear to give a shit what any of us think."

The style of performed poetry has changed, but the poets themselves are still afraid of being different. Afraid to risk an unwelcoming or hostile reception. The lion is dead and the kitties have taken over the zoo. Meow! Thank you! Goodnight! Follow me on Instagram!

The style of performed poetry has changed, but the poets themselves are still afraid of being different. Afraid to risk an unwelcoming or hostile reception.

This is why the Poetry Slam movement is more vital than ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back