Last CD you bought/ Book you read (5 Viewers)

I'm honestly not sure if it was ghost written. It is written just how he speaks which is amazing (I love his speech, tone and pitch. Very unique). It's quite good, honestly, and I'm glad I'm reading it. I don't think the guy gets a fair shake.

Entertainment Weekly has called The Room "the Citizen Kane of bad movies" and a number of notable publications have labeled it as one of the worst films ever made. Originally shown only in a limited number of California theaters, the film quickly developed a cult following as fans found humour in the film's bizarre storytelling and various technical and narrative flaws. Although Wiseau has retroactively characterized the film as a black comedy, audiences have generally viewed it as a poorly made drama, a viewpoint supported by some of the film's cast. Within a decade of its premiere, the film was selling out showings around the United States and had inspired a video game, book, and traveling stage show.

anyone seen it?

The_Disaster_Artist.jpg
ir

check out this infamous clip from the movie. the guy with the black hair wrote, directed, starred, produced, etc.

[This video is unavailable.]

Last edited:
Last week I finished 829 pages of a murder mystery/ghost story set in 1880's New Zealand called "The Luminaries" and those pages went by way too fast. A Victorian-style novel with formal narration and chapter summaries throughout, this shouldn't have been on my radar. But I always loved Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Edgar Allen Poe and gave it a shot. Glad that I did.

Compared to "The Art Of Fielding" - this was a sprawling narrative that didn't bore or lose focus of itself. Not one chapter misses here and the mystery is resolved elegantly and with an almost John Ford sense of closure. Smart story-telling all around by Eleanor Catton, who could be writing screenplays any day now.... if I were a studio boss...

Just finished Amerika by Franz Kafka. It was alright. The book pooped out at the last chapter. Apparently when Kafka died it was unfinished. That was obvious.

anyone seen it?
I checked out a few clips when you posted this at the time but I've only just watched the whole movie. Jesus fucking Christ man! It's an absolute hoot. I don't think there's anything deliberate about it at all so you can pretty much discount the 'black comedy' idea. I really don't think you could make a film that bad on purpose. I'm quite tempted to read the book now.

yes - i recommend the book highly. the other lead - greg sestero - wrote (co-wrote) it about becoming friends with wiseau and eventually working on the film with him.

tommy wiseau could not be more serious about his work and "art", which is what makes him and the movie so disturbingly fascinating.

Just finished All Quiet on the Western Front. A brilliant book. It was an easy read yet it had so much meat on its bones. It was deep & intense, everything one might expect from a war novel but better. God, what a lazy, cliche review. Let's just say if you haven't read a "war novel" or this one in particular in a while, do so very soon. You will not be disappointed.

this was good.

Quitter.jpg

i also started reading "American Splendor" and almost bailed, thinking "this is so about nothing!" but hung in there and it got strangely compelling.

yes - i recommend the book highly. the other lead - greg sestero - wrote (co-wrote) it about becoming friends with wiseau and eventually working on the film with him.

tommy wiseau could not be more serious about his work and "art", which is what makes him and the movie so disturbingly fascinating.
Apparently Tommy Wiseau has done some films since which are 'ironic' but you just know they are never going to be as good as something which was unintentionally deradful such as this.

Incidentally, I take it you seen the movie American Splendor. It's good good rather than (so bad it's) good ;)
Just finished All Quiet on the Western Front. A brilliant book. It was an easy read yet it had so much meat on its bones. It was deep & intense, everything one might expect from a war novel but better. God, what a lazy, cliche review. Let's just say if you haven't read a "war novel" or this one in particular in a while, do so very soon. You will not be disappointed.
I concur. It's a great book.

Cop Killer, the 9th book in the Martin Beck police series, maybe the best. I'm going to finish the series, # 10, on vacation down the Jersey shore. So, thanks again to whoever it was that suggested such a brilliant series of books (;)), and see ya'll in August.

Just started reading Kim Gordon's new book, Girl in a Band. It's good so far in the way that most rock and roll biographies are good. Meaning it's all right.

The last CD I bought is this:

mozart.jpg

It's the complete works of Mozart, and I picked it up this morning from a guy selling it on Craigslist for $40. It's not the world's greatest orchestras and the world's greatest performances, but it's adequate. Good enough for me, anyway. It's all done on period instruments, and I like that. It's 170 CDs (!) and full of stuff I'd never buy on its own, but now I get to hear. For less than 24 cents per disc it's hard to go wrong.

I got that one too and also the same on Bach.
The German 'Zweitausendeins' - well known to Bukowski-fans for things like the 'blue book' - had offered it a couple o' years ago for about 70,- EUR, so I couldn't resist.

Mozart-Bach-editions_b.jpg

as you said, the performances aren't the very best, but fair enough and this way you get pieces you otherwise would never have.

And of course, the REALLY important things (like Mozart's Requiem or Bach's Mass in b-minor) one should own in top-world-class-performances anyway, so you don't listen to those pieces from the box-sets.

Bach was the other one I had my eye on. They are so ridiculously cheap.

Not a big Requiem fan, though somehow I have a couple of versions of it. I'm more of a chamber music guy.

But yeah, I'd never hear the organ music or the religious music (among other things) without the complete collection, so I look forward to hearing everything in there. The organ music on period instruments should be something to hear.

I'm more of a chamber music guy.
if that's the case, I'd like to point you to CDs #74&77 of your new treasure.
(given, they didn't change the order crossing the Atlantic, since I've noted from your pic that your edition has a different packaging and layout)

[...] or the religious music
then CDs # 99-102 should get on your playlist soon.
(esp the Reginae Coeli, KV108, 127, 276)

Since the Mozart box...

Records:
Aston Familyman Barrett - Familyman In Dub
Augustus Pablo - Original Rockers (Greensleeves CD)
Black Uhuru - Black Sounds of Freedom (Remastered, additional tracks)
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Uprising (Remastered, additional tracks)
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Talkin Blues (Remastered, additional tracks)
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Burnin' (first pressing sleeve only - I had the first pressing LP but no sleeve for some reason)
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Freedom Time
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Soul Rebels
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Upsetter Revolution Rhythm
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Soul Revolution Part 2
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Easy Skanking in Boston '78
Boom Shaka - Freedom Now! (CD)
Bunny Wailer - Rock 'N' Groove (LP)
Bunny Wailer - Solomonic Singles 1: Tread Along 1969-1976
Bunny Wailer - Solomonic Singles 2: Rise & Shine 1977-1986
Bunny Wailer - Roots Radics Rockers Reggae (Shanachie CD)
Charles Bukowski - 90 Minutes In Hell LP
Charles Bukowski & Steven Richmond LP
Desert Sessions - Vol. 9-10 (PJ Harvey)
First Aid Kit - Drunken Trees
First Aid Kit - America (Record Store Day 10")
First Aid Kit - Big Black & the Blue
Hugh Mundell - Mundell
Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (Legacy Edition)
Iggy Pop & James Williamson - Kill City (Restored, Re-mixed, remastered)
Ini Kamoze - Ini Kamoze (CD)
Kiddus I - Rockers: Graduation In Zion 1978-1980
Pearl Charles - Pearl Charles (cassette)
Pearl Charles - Pearl Charles (LP)
Peter Tosh - Mystic Man (Definitive Remaster)
Peter Tosh - Wanted Dread & Alive (Definitive Remaster)
Peter Tosh - Mama Africa
Peter Tosh - Complete Captured Live (CD)
Peter Tosh - No Nuclear War
Peter Tosh - Live at My Fathers Place 1978
Peter Tosh - Live & Dangerous: Boston 1976
PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
PJ Harvey - B-Sides & Demos
Prince - 1999 (original version CD)
Prince - Crystal Ball (NPG 4 CD)
Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus - Disarmament (LP)
Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus - Nyabinghi (LP)
Regina Spektor - Live at Bull Moose
Regina Spektor - Remember Us To Life
Sonny Vincent - P.I.N.S.
The Beatles - 1 (2 CD)
The Beatles - Day by Day (Get Back Sessions)
Trevy Felix - African Roots Acoustic Reggae

Books:
Ask The Dust - John Fante 1/75 signed
Beat The Devil - Mishka Shubaly
Bob Marley: The Untold Story - Chris Salewicz
Concerning the Spiritual in Art - Wassily Kandinsky
Do Not Sell At Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78rpm Records - Amanda Petrusich
Disruption: How Successful People Use Social Media for Business - Randy Milanovic
Follow the Music: The Life And High Times Of Elektra Records In The Great Years Of American Pop Culture - Jac Holzman
Kalamazoo Gals: A Story of Extraordinary Women & Gibson's "Banner" Guitars of World War II - John Thomas
Living Like a Runaway: A Memoir - Lita Ford
Nothin' to Lose: The Making of KISS (1972-1975) - Ken Sharp
On the Road with Bob Marley: A White Knight in Babylon - Mark Miller
Queens of Noise: The Real Story of the Runaways - Evelyn McDonnell
Record Collecting in the Digital age - John Silke
Snakes! Guillotines! Electric Chairs!: My Adventures in The Alice Cooper Group - Dennis Dunaway
The First Bad Man: A Novel - Miranda July
This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession - Daniel J. Levitin
The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo - Amy Schumer
Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years - Mark Lewisohn
The Sound Book: The Science of the Sonic Wonders of the World - Trevor Cox
There Goes Gravity: A Life in Rock and Roll - Lisa Robinson
The Trail of the Tramp - Leon Ray Livingston
The Wild One, True Story Of Iggy Pop - Nilson & Sherman
Vinyl Junkies: Adventures in Record Collecting - Brett Milano
What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America - Thomas Frank
Ward 81 - Mary Ellen Mark

I thought you'd like to know.

It is. I got hold of a couple slides of prints that are in the book right before she died, but I'd never owned the book.

Had a chance to buy a few of her prints some years ago and still kick myself for not ponying up the dough. Now that she's dead the prices have gone (way) beyond what I want to pay for photos. But that's to be expected I suppose.

I just bought "The Beatles: Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years - Special Edition" (2-DVD), and the graphic novel, "The Fifth Beatle - The Brian Epstein Story", plus The Stones, "Blue & Lonesome" CD. They all arrived from Amazon today so i have´nt digged into any of it yet. If anybody here have some of it i would like to hear your opinion.

FifthBeatle-11-2.jpg

I'm struggling to get into anything. My reading has really slowed down & I usually read at least 3 books a month, depending on the books. Finished one on March, none on April if I recall correctly. Ugh.Today I have One Step Behind by Henning Mankell in my bag. We'll see.

Hey, that's a pic of my grandfather, Pop 'E'. If you look closely he signed his name on the shirt. He sent me that card when I was away at college with these words of wisdom, "Signal left- turn right, post-date all your checks, take the hotel towel." That's it. Drink will make people do & say funny things. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back