Leonardo DiCaprio: 'I knew Charles Bukowski as a child' (1 Viewer)

Johannes

Founding member
"LEONARDO DiCAPRIO met literary legend CHARLES BUKOWSKI as a baby when his father befriended the writer on the mean streets of Los Angeles.

Long before The Wolf of Wall Street star had Oscar dreams, he was the infant of an oddball New York couple, who came to Hollywood looking for a land of dreams, and found themselves living with hookers and junkies.

In an online Screen Actors Guild interview on Friday night (21Feb14), the movie star recalled, "I was born in (the old) Cedars Sinai (hospital), which is now the Scientology Center... on Sunset Boulevard (and) I grew up on Hollywood (Boulevard) and Western (Avenue), which is a kind of well-documented area, because it was Bukowski's safe haven, where he would roam around write. My father would carry me around in a crib and (we'd) run into Bukowski.

"My parents both came from New York and they had this postcard image of a Utopian Los Angeles and Hollywood and we kind of moved into the Mecca of prostitution and drug addicts."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/461543/Leonardo-DiCaprio-I-knew-Charles-Bukowski-as-a-child

"When he was at the coffe stand, Bukowski often met comic bool distributor George Di Caprio, who lived at a court on the opposite corner of Hollywood and Western with his wife, Irmelin, and their baby son who grew up to become the film star, Leonardo Di Caprio.

The Christmas of 1975 was the first the Di Caprio family had spent with their new baby. George decorated the bungalow, bought a tree and invited his mother to dinner. Christmas Eve, when they were washing up, there was a knock on the door and in burst the diabolical figure of Bukowski, his face fiery with drink.

'You know it's just a few inches that separates a man from paradise', said Bukowski, enigmatically, when he had taken in the scene: the trees, the cards with snow scenes, and baby Leonardo sleeping peacefully in a bassinet. George Di Caprio pondered this cryptic statement, assuming it had a festive meaning. His mother, who was a little deaf, asked what Bukowski had said.
'Yeah, hmm, it's just a few inches ...' Bukowski began again, and then he yelled: 'THAT PREVENTS A MAN SUCKING HIS OWN COCK!'"

- Sounes, p. 149/150

I have a literary magazine here somewhere that was edited and published by George DiCaprio. I don't remember Bukowski being in it, which seems odd.. I think that I saw a photo a while back of Buk with George in the background?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back