Meher Baba (1 Viewer)

I read that before meeting Hank Linda was an Hippy who followed the Guru Meher Baba. Does anyone have any more information on how invovled with Bab Group she was? Was she a memeber of the group? Did she know Baba personally?

In what does her hippy guru loving self contradiction or compliment the relationship she had with her husband Bukowski?

Seems that she was very keen on following his teachings. She had travelled to India but this was after Baba had passed away. She became interested in Baba in 1971 after moving to California - an artist she was seeing was a follower of Baba's teachings. See Cherkovski's bio chapter 13 for more background detail.

An interesting and revealing thing about their relationship is that Linda continues to refer to Bukowski as a very spiritual person. He might not have been conventionally spiritual or religious in anyway, but she saw some quality in him that drew her to him in a spiritual way.

ahahahah yeah, he talks about all the pictures in her apartment, and later on, they pictures of him in their San Pedro home.

man, buk must've been tolerent. he looks like a fruit cake.

I just looked him up on Wikipedia. He was really something else! From 1925 'till his death in 1969 he did'nt speak. He communicated with an alphabeth board and with gestures. At Feb. 10, 1954, he declared himself to be the incarnation of God - an avatar! - "Hello, people - I'm God". :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meher_Baba

Last edited by a moderator:
"Man's inability to live God's words makes the Avatar's teaching a mockery. Instead of practicing the compassion he taught, man has waged wars in his name. Instead of living the humility, purity, and truth of his words, man has given way to hatred, greed, and violence. Because man has been deaf to the principles and precepts laid down by God in the past, in this present Avataric form, I observe silence."

Sounds spot on to me.

I see ample free time in Glasgow,MR.B lived life,A life lived is spiritaul in it's self as the typerman has given us time & time again.44 years in silence, is what? says what?life watched is nothing...anyway monday monday.

I like that. She was comfort for him in his last years. He's honest to a fault. Meher Baba was interesting to me as a young hippy. sound plausable.

wanye: I see ample free time in Glasgow

Not exactly wanye...where did that come from?

Glad this topic has taken on some life...
More Baba!

Olaf you have some of the best threads,I enjoy the thoughts you bring about maybe I should give more thought to my words or how my words are recived...anyway .good stuff

Wayne, not a problem, I often make horrific grammatic and syntactic errors that make my posts almost unreadable. I was just curious what you meant by 'ample free time in Glasgow' - what did you mean?

Anyway: More Baba, did Linda meet him?

No she didn't. He died a few years before she made her pilgrimage.

"There was a poster of a man in the back window of her van. 'Smile and rejoice' he advised me, and at the bottom of the poster was his name, Drayer Baba. [...] Photos of Drayer Baba were everywhere. He was from India and had died in 1971, claiming to be God."
(Women, p. 221)

"'One doesn't have sex without marriage.'
'One doesn't?'
'Drayer Baba doesn't believe in it.'
'Sometimes God can be mistaken.'
'Never.'
[...] she had my cock in her hand, petting it, rubbing it. Then she pressed it against her cunt. She rubbed it up and down, up and down against her cunt. She was obeying her God, Drayer Baba. I didn't play with her cunt because I felt that would offend Drayer. [...] she just kept rubbing. The hairs began to burn my cock. I pulled away. [...] Drayer Baby, I thought, you've got one helluva beliefer in this bed."
(Women, p. 223f)

"I saw Sara every three or four days at her place or mine. We slept together but there was no sex. We came close but we never quite got to it. Drayer Baba's precepts held strong."
(Women, p. 261)

"It was going to be a fine bed. It didn't take Sara long. Then we tested it - non sexually - as Drayer Baba smiled over us."
(Women, p. 262)

plus:
I remember a moment in the 'Slapping-episode' of the BUK-Tapes where he states something like "I don't need your Meher Baba shit!" (not verbatim).

"There was a poster of a man in the back window of her van. 'Smile and rejoice' he advised me, and at the bottom of the poster was his name, Drayer Baba...

Damn, my wife and I had a photo of Baba in our van. It was a small, black and white photo, and on the bottom it said" "Smile, be happy." I didn't know jack about the guy. I just liked his face and that "Smile, be happy." Baba was big in L.A. in the 60s.

See " Free Thought " magazine Volume II, Issue I, Summer 2000, page 6-7
There was an interview with Linda Lee Bukowski:
" I had been to India on a spiritual pilgrimage to the area of India where Meher Baba, the spiritual master, had lived, and went to visit his grave and meet his intimate disciples, and I spent a little over three months there. "
About her husband she mentioned:
" He didn`t like to think of himself outwardly as a so-called "spiritual" person, but he was one of the most spiritual human beings, that I`ve ever known in my life. "

I Agree With You

See " Free Thought " magazine Volume II, Issue I, Summer 2000, page 6-7
There was an interview with Linda Lee Bukowski:
" I had been to India on a spiritual pilgrimage to the area of India where Meher Baba, the spiritual master, had lived, and went to visit his grave and meet his intimate disciples, and I spent a little over three months there. "
About her husband she mentioned:
" He didn`t like to think of himself outwardly as a so-called "spiritual" person, but he was one of the most spiritual human beings, that I`ve ever known in my life. "

I agree with you, fellow. There are several poems of Bukowski more spirituals than one hundred pages of Holy Book.

I think we got the Meher Baba photo and a book by him at a metaphysical bookshop in Hollywood/L.A. called The Bodhi Tree. I imagine Linda B. has been there.

What happened, did the last hippie finally die?

Har har. Well, I think I bought a book or two there, 25 years ago. But every time I walked into that place I was afraid that I would be indoctrinated into a cult and never be able to leave. But it was unique, for sure. I like this line from the story; "After four decades of delving into the wisdom traditions of the world, the men say they come away with no major revelations." That about sums it up.

no, I have the last free range hippie roaming around a carefully fenced preserve in the appalachian mountains of north carolina.

he has his own patchouli drip, a trough of granola and a looped tape of "White Rabbit" playing on a reel to reel.

I am hoping to mate him with the last pomo hipster when we finally cut those creatures' numbers down...

The remaining hippies get together in Santa Cruz California every September. They perform a ritual where they all tok up from a very special box of grass. In this box there are two very special joints that are to be smoked by the two remaining hippies after all the other hippies have died, maybe 20 years from now. The last two remaining hippies on earth will then go to their reward.

Well that is the story I have been told when I was in SF by a burner (one who supports the burning man celebration).

Linda & Meher Baba

She became interested in Baba in 1971 after moving to California - an artist she was seeing was a follower of Baba's teachings. .

Like Rekrab, I apologize for resurrecting this three year old thread. But, Buk's biographers notwithstanding, Linda was interested in Meher Baba as early as 1969-70. Although we never talked about Baba (I've never been interested in Eastern spirituality), his famous "Don't worry - be happy" poster was tacked to the wall of her Cambridge, MA apartment.

"Man's inability to live God's words makes the Avatar's teaching a mockery. Instead of practicing the compassion he taught, man has waged wars in his name. Instead of living the humility, purity, and truth of his words, man has given way to hatred, greed, and violence. Because man has been deaf to the principles and precepts laid down by God in the past, in this present Avataric form, I observe silence."

Sounds spot on to me.
Bukowski seemed like a very smart man who liked to get to the simple truth of things. I'm sure the simple truth in Meher Baba's words resonated well with him. It's probable that Buk's rough/tough image belied a much deeper spiritual understanding of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back