Melbourne House Edition of Post Office (1 Viewer)

Can anyone tell me the history of british editions of Post Office? Searches reveal a London Magazines Edtion from 1974 that I thought was the UK first. But there is also the Melbourne House edition from 1980 with the cover illustration of one of Bukowski's drawings that sellers also call the 1st UK edition.

MarkDB said:
...there is also the Melbourne House edition from 1980 with the cover illustration of one of Bukowski's drawings that sellers also call the 1st UK edition.
I don't think I've seen that one. But admittedly, I don't really pay attention to the non-U.S. releases. Seems like a copy of post office with a Bukowski drawing would catch my attention though...

I already had the London Magazines edition from 1974. I just bought the Melbourne House edition on EBay for a really good price. The DJ is brilliant, a wonderful drawing by Buk of a postman on a fire hydrant with a dog trying to eat him. Found two more of this at abebooks for four times what I paid on ebay. All of them inaccurately list it though as the first UK edition. It is more likely a 1st Australian edition.

Is the London Magazine Edition a paper back with a kind of pencil drawing of two people on the cover?

MarkDB said:
... a postman on a fire hydrant with a dog trying to eat him...

Thats actually a British Post Box or Pillar Box rather than a hydrant. We don't have hydrants in the UK, at least not the type that stick up out of the ground.

Pillar boxes are about 5 foot tall...

Britain-pillar%20box.JPG

Thanks for the corrections on both the fact that it is not a Bukowski drawing on the Melbourne House edition DJ and that there are no fire hydrants in the UK. Also obviously makes sense that it would be a letter box. Anyway, I am not familiar with a paperback edition by London Magazines. My version is a HC and the DJ is a bright graphical representation of the American flag with a pile of mail in the middle.

Check out Ebay item: 8381121455 for another British ed of Post Office...

Bukowski, Charles. POST OFFICE
(London: Allison & Busby, 1991)

Post Office First UK Paperback

Here's the paperback I referred to with a pencil drawing of two people on the cover. I was wrong on the publisher... published 1980 by Moat Hall Books (Magread Limited).

Ebay (US Site)

Cover Image:

f8_1_b.JPG

Post Office UK First Edition HB 1974

Oh, I see the one MarkDB meant. Theres one on fleaBay - seems pricey?

Ebay USA

27_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back